Please help with Table of Contents and Compile!!

Hi again,

I’m in the process of using the new version to deal with editing a long, finally finished project. So now I’m learning a whole bunch of new Scrivener features, related to getting the project in and out of scrivener, mostly in the form of PDFs. To help me when reading the compiled PDF, I have been trying to generate a table of contents. It’s not working for me at all. Here’s what I have done:

1. Select all documents I want to compile. Choose Edit/Copy Special/Table of contents.
  2. Paste into a new text document which I am calling “Contents” and which lives inside the folder that I am compiling. List of links appears, each link titled with the name of corresponding folder. Brilliant.
    2a. When I click on each of the pasted links, a new window opens in Scrivener, which is, as I would expect, the linked document. Truly Brilliant.
  3. Compile to pdf.
    3a. When I clock on the PDF link, called, say, “January”, Windows generates the following message: “This document is trying to connect to: file:///C|/Users/Shelley/Desktop/January” If you trust this site, choose Allow. If you do not trust this site, choose Block." I choose allow, and then my web browser opens with a “this webpage not found” message.

I have repeated the above steps trying “Edit/Copy Special/Scrivener Link” and by manually creating links, and always get the same result. What in the world am I doing wrong?

I would be almost desperately grateful is somebody would shed some light on this. I really need those links.

Scrivener links are only supported when compiling to PDF using the Microsoft Office converter. If you have Word 2007, 2010, or 2013 installed, you can switch the converters by going to the Import/Export tab of Tools > Options and clicking “Export converters…”, then selecting PDF and changing the converter setting.

If you don’t have Word, you can export instead to RTF and then use a word processor like OpenOffice to export to PDF format while keeping the links intact.

Aha! Confusing!! So:

I use Word 2003. Compile to PDF with table of contents won’t work, apparently? (Is this in the manual anywhere? If not, it would be great to have it added!) Thanks to you guys, Word is so far in my distant past that I really am not interested in upgrading. On the other hand, I DO have Adobe X, full version. So, could I compile with TOC to a .doc or .rtf file, and then print that entire file to .PDF using my Adobe program?

Alternatively, is it possible to compile with TOC in the Mac version? I have both, so I could just create my .pdf files on that computer rather than my desktop.

Either way, I am so delighted to be discovering all of these new features. What an amazing program.

:slight_smile:

Hm, I found a reference in the manual to needing MS Office 2007+ but it isn’t clear that for the TOC to have working links you need that for the PDF compile as well, so I’ll pop a note to Ioa about that for the next version.

You can do the compile to RTF and then should have no problems saving that to PDF using Adobe. (You’d need MS Office to get the links working for DOC, same conversion issue as with PDF, but RTF will work regardless.) Compiling on the Mac would also work, as it uses different converters than are available for Windows, so Word won’t matter there either. Do note though that at present the compile options are completely segregated, so if you’re going to compile on the Mac, don’t bother fussing with any compile settings on Windows since they won’t transfer; you’ll need to just handle it entirely on the Mac. You won’t see the settings when you open the project on Windows, but they’ll be there again when you re-open on Mac.

Thanks for clarification! My plan was to share compile settings between both computers, so now I won’t get lost in those weeds. Order restored. Solutions abound. :slight_smile:

Further investigations: I was able to create an rtf file with a linked Table of Contents, but when I printed that document to PDF, or imported that document into Adobe, converting it to a pdf (probably exactly the same thing, but thought I should give it a try), the links didn’t work, and there was no adobe generated table of contents in the bookmarks panel. Hmm… Am I doing something wrong?

I will try compiling to pdf on my laptop, but the truth is, I’d rather do that kind of work at my big, immobile, can’t be lost or dropped or stolen, desktop computer. Thanks for your help, as always.

This has been clarified for the next manual revision. Thanks!

I was probably wrong. I don’t have a full version of Adobe to test it, and I just assumed it would pick up the RTF bookmarks as part of the conversion, but it sounds like that’s not the case. Export/Print to PDF options from a word processor might do better with it, but only if you have a word processor that is handling the links and page numbering properly.

You could potentially also do the Print to PDF from your Mac, depending what word processor you’ve got there, but at that point it’s probably just as easy to do the compile straight from your Mac. Are you needing to compile frequently? It seems like you ought to be able to do your work on the desktop and then just switch over to the Mac for the final compile process whenever that needs to happen.

Yes, I will certainly just compile on the mac. Mostly I do writing on the mac and formatting, businessy stuff on the desktop, but I believe I can make an exception. :wink: