Please re-ignite Scrivener for Linux

This has been building up in me for a long time, but in light in the increasing crimes against privacy and freedom of speech, at the hands of the tech giants, I am going all in for open source. alternative services, Linux and other “off-grid” alternatives. I’ve already installed Ubuntu on my second Mac (my next computer will be self built and entirely Linux based), and I’m learning to use GIMP in place of Photoshop (although Adobe itself is thus far innocent in the aforementioned tech giant crimes), Kdenlive in place of Premiere or Final Cut, etc, and I’m setting up accounts on Bitchute, Gab, etc, as I’m leaving Youtube and Twitter behind, I’m not sure yet which alternative to Facebook is best, but I’m in the process of finding out.

But I love Scrivener! And, particularly, I love Scrivener 3! So please restart Scrivener for Linux! I’m sure the move away from the established monolithical (and oppressive) tech giants that I’m part of will only grow and grow in the coming years (see the TEDx talk on how the mainstream will eventually move to the darknet), and I’m sure the Linux community will welcome and support (as in buy) a powerful, full Linux version of the best writing application that ever was devised - Scrivener.

If there is some clever way where I may simulate MacOS on my Linux, and run Scrivener on that, that’ll be good enough for me, but I still think KB and team should seriously consider joining the Linux pre-boom sooner rather than later.

Wine. Get it on your Ubuntu install then follow the threads here to get it working.

And don’t think Linux is above the fray when it comes to the gubnerment overlords. Just because you think, or it seems, it is exempt, make sure you really understand what is going on under the hood. I say that as you are STILL bound by all local laws about encryption (and it being breakable). You just have the freedom to become a criminal if you chose.

For the record, I am a linux guy. I just choose not to use it right now as there is no advantage to me in doing so. When the advantage returns I will be using it. With Wine and scrivener. :wink:

No, it won’t.

And the reason is: “You know, I know this steak doesn’t exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss.”

While I agree there may be some companies who play loose with our privacy, Apple is most certainly not one of them. They have extensive privacy provisions in place and a significant part of their training is focused on customer privacy. Internal breaches of even minor level are handled very firmly.
I’ve yet to see them do anything against freedom of speech.

This is the company that faced down the FBI on device security.

Why simulate MacOS when you can have the real thing fully supported and with Scrivener 3 as well.

I have until recently dabbled with Linux and used all the common programs and bar one of the programs you mention. They all have significant compromises compared to the commercial equivalents.

As for Adobe has not… their signature software, Flash is so full of security holes it is almost criminal, and they had a major security breach a little while back, not to mention the (IMHO) obscene subscription prices.

A MAJOR dis-incentive for companies to write for Linux is extremely poor or no return on investment, and the nice guys at L&L have themselves and possibly families to feed. (IMHO)

Oops, almost forgot, …and I understand L&L are a small team fully up to their eyes developing for Mac, Win, iOS and possibly soon Android.

You are joking, right?

Apple is cooperating with China’s government. They moved the iCloud data in China which is now stored by a state-owned company.

How much worse it can be?

To be specific, for Chinese customers iCloud storage was moved to China. This is a condition of doing business there. There are supposed safeguards in place, but…

It certainly doesn’t put them even close to ‘crimes against privacy and freedom of speech’.

I know in a utopian world they would simply say no, we don’t want to sell our product in China.

Regardless,apart from the wild accusations, the discussion was about Linux version and while I’m not connected to L&L, the fact that Linux is not supported points to my statement about return on investment and/or resources being close to the mark.

“I’ve yet to see them do anything against freedom of speech.”

Funny.

“This is the company that faced down the FBI on device security.”

That was the official story, sure, but in light of how they so happily do whatever China wishes, I don’t for one second believe that show they put on was genuine.

“As for Adobe has not… their signature software, Flash is so full of security holes it is almost criminal, and they had a major security breach a little while back, not to mention the (IMHO) obscene subscription prices.”

Yeah, not doing a good enough job on security is one thing, but I don’t see anything to suggest Adobe is so far actively working to disrespect privacy (or freedom of speech), unlike Apple, Twitter, Yahoo, Facebook, Google, and various major web hosts.

“I know in a utopian world they would simply say no, we don’t want to sell our product in China.”

So, refusing to do business with oppressive dictatorships is chasing utopia. Interesting view to take.

All this doesn’t change the fact the original and subsequent posts have wildly unsupportable statements, at least in Apple’s case, or the poor commercial viability of the Linux market in general.

On that note I’ll step out of this discussion.

Please note that current versions of Linux are quite complete. It’s getting to the point where anybody who has learned to use a Mac or a PC can switch to Linux relatively easily and find pretty much everything he needs including commercial software. It’s also possible to write portable software using tools like QT5. With a bit of effort it’s even possible to combine Mobile and Desktop codebases for Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS and Android into a single QT5 project (I know, it’s a huge effort but it can be done and it does reduce maintenance costs in the long run by encouraging the sharing of common code / separation of platform-specific code from the bulk of the codebase.)

Personally I’ve got a copy of Scrivener on a Windows Surface tablet - but I never use it. I have a copy on my main workstation - running OpenSUSE - and I use it much more than even MS One Note. Scrivener for iOS has been handy when I’m not at my main workstation or notebook.

The simple reality is that Linux works - it just works - and so I’m regularly frustrated when I find myself trying to get things done in Windows and, to a lesser extent, Mac.

Please do note that some of us do actually pay money for commercial Linux software. It may not be a huge market just yet but it’s growing fast and I hope you’ll find yourselves supporting it when it really takes off (which might be any day soon.)

One of the recent releases of Scrivener did not work for me - I wasn’t able to register with the new service provider - and I was forced to go back to 1.9.9.0. Now I’m nervous about installing 1.9.13.0 though I’m sure I’ll put some effort into it some day soon.

Thanks, Have a great day, Take care, --Sam.

I’m not up on QT5, however experience from almost 40 years with all the platforms (Dos, Cpm, Gem, Win, Apple2, Lisa, Mac, Linux on so many dists I’ve lost count) is that cross platform development tools tend to end in code that is not optimised for any and sub par performance.

I don’t want to ignite an OS flame war, but while I could sometimes agree with you on the latest Linux vs Win 7 and 10 in SOME installs, on the whole Linux is still ‘not there’ when comes to ‘it just works’. That title, love it or not still resides with Mac/iOS mainly because of tight integration with their own hardware, not trying to make it work on thousands of combinations.

I can recall ‘Linux is about to really take off’ for a good 20-25 years and still waiting. Depending on who’s stats you agree with Linux market share is between 0.77 and approaching 3%. (3% is still a truckload of machines) In perspective MacOS is around 6%, but the big difference is Mac users tend to spend freely on applications (and of course Keith first developed Scrivener for his platform of choice, Mac). That’s not to say Linux won’t take off but I’d be long dead if I held my breath.

I guess the L&L guys will decide if the extra distraction from making Win, Mac, iOS and soon (?) Android the absolute best is worth the distraction of adding another OS to the mix and whether there’d be any commercial return.

Re your licence issue, there’s a couple of threads on that, plus a number of people reporting success even on V3 Beta under Wine,

End of day, it does come down to preference and (even) I admit to keeping Win 7 and 10 test environments plus cycling through current Linux Dists on a VM.

Agreed that there’s no need for a flame war :slight_smile:

I started in the I.T. world back in the late 70’s - 78/79 so I too have 40 years experience.

Please do take a look at QT5. It doesn’t really work with cross compilers (not out of the box and not with Mac/iOS) in the sense that we think of when we do ARM development on Intel hardware. You need to compile Mac code in a Mac, for example, and it’s much easier to compile Linux code on Linux instead of Windows - but you can get everything together into a single (code base / git repo) with each platform compiling native code (and often calling local libraries to ensure greater compatibility with the local platform.)

As I say I use OpenSUSE basically all the time (full time on various Linux distros since the mid 2000’s) so I can’t agree with you about it not being “there.”

I also remember the days when I pushed to get a Linux server installed in a data center and found, in big, bold letters at the top of the rack, “LINUX” instead of the project name. When I asked why they didn’t write the project name I was told, “Everybody wants to know if this system will actually work!” Montreal was an all Microsoft town up to 2002 or so - literally a few months later almost all the servers in most of the data centers in town were running Linux. That was back in 2003 or 2004 so… I don’t think you’ll be holding your breath til you die :slight_smile: though, again, you are certainly right that we’ve been expecting Linux to take off for far too long.

Yes, Mac users do spend more freely than PC and Linux users but, then again, you can now order Linux “from the factory” with many of the computers you buy from many suppliers. That 3% estimate might be getting a bit low now - some companies selling high-end hardware, like System 76, install Linux on most of what they sell. In general Microsoft has been losing a bit of their desktop market share. I think you’ll find there are way more Mac’s out there these days also.

So, to summarize: Linux is good :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that some people are succeeding with v3 and will look for the associated threads.

Thanks again, All the best, --Sam.

p.s. For sure the platform independent code you get from the various scripted frameworks … UGH! Absolutely yes: stay away from that stuff for any serious long-term project development - not just because of performance issues. It’s even dangerous for short/quick projects because - eventually - one of your short & quick projects will take off and you’ll suffer for years for not having started it properly in the first place.

The moment I’ve tested and used Scrivener for Windows I knew that would be the perfect thing for a simple linux laptop where I could write on my projects without disctraction, without bloat.
Given the “about-screen” in the windows version there had been a Linux version in some point, right? :wink:
I would also pay for a Linux version.

To assume that Linux user wouldn’t pay for software is quite cheap and a huge underestimation. Linux evolved into a mature state which Microsoft left since version 8. A lot people are frustrated that some good paid software out there is for Windows and MacOS only and they would switch instantly to Linux if those software would be ported to Linux and they would pay the same money for it without hesitation! You constantly hear that they don’t switch to Linux because of the big specialized software companies who give no damn about Linux. That’s definitely a wrong mindset.

Also the windows version uses the .Net framework (version 4.6.2 as stated on the download page). So I assume that the code was ported from at least .Net 2.0 through that version. Porting to .Net Core should be a thing for a few weeks, if the code doesn’t have a lot of dependencies to rewrite, and we would have a linux version too, Besides: .Net Framework version 5 will be the same as the Core version (or vice versa; you get the idea). It would be a good investement into future releases (and maybe it wouldn’t need a separate MacOS version, but thats maybe a naive assumption).

Short story: Build Scrivener on .Net Core, it runs at least on Windows and Linux, and you will have more users who are willing to pay for your excellent piece of software. Please give it a thought or two.

Whatever decisions L&L made about no longer supporting Linux were not based off of assumptions, they were based off of analyzing their own costs to produce and support it. Assuming otherwise is potentially insulting.

The Paddle licensing code requires .NET, but the rest of the code doesn’t. The Windows version uses the Qt framework, since that provides at least some form of richer text engine (and other features that are core features in MacOS) than they would get if starting with plain .NET. It would actually be a lot of additional coding for them to spend time trying to make up for lost functionality by making that switch.

I know this is an old thread, but please bring back Scrivener for Linux. It’s the operating system a lot of people prefer to use. I don’t understand why you have it for every other operating system but Linux!!

Lots of people like to use Linux, but it’s much more difficult to get people to pay for Linux software than for other platforms.

Katherine

You can use the Windows version (30 day free trial, then paid license per Katherine’s reply) under Linux on x86/x64 architectures by making use of WINE. There are other users here in the forums who do so and have provided guidance on getting it running.

FYI I’ve been using Scrivener on Linux from the time I discovered it and I’ve been paying for it with a smile :slight_smile:

The simple fact is that Linux is far better than Windows and more and more non-technical people are slowly finding out about that. Moreover it’s now relatively easy to develop a single codebase of quality software in C++ which can compile on Linux, Windows and Mac OS - so there’s no longer any real excuse for not fully supporting all three environments.

Today Scrivener3 takes forever to start and crashes whenever I accidentally click on a link, not to mention font issues, etc. So, yes, I too wish that there was more testing on Linux during development and, yes, I would be willing to pay an upgrade fee for a version which is certified for use on Linux instead of relying on Wine.

Thanks,
Have a great day,
Take care,
Sam.

We won’t get into ‘Linux is far better than Windows’. - "some people say’ an abacus is far better than Windows, but that’s a similarly sweeping and debatable statement.

The reality is that Linux is still a niche OS with the vast majority of users of that niche confirmed freeware/shareware only users. If the Linux market was viable do you not think L&L would have continued developing the Linux version?

Yes, in theory you can have cross-platform development tools however in the vast majority of cases you end upon with a compromise app that doesn’t make use of the OS specific features of the individual OS without significant additional development.

Apart from that, your suggestion would require L&L to bin everything they have done thus far on Mac and Win and start from scratch on the extremely dubious promise of a viable additional market.

The best estimates I was able to find put Linux use at about 1.5% of the total desktop/laptop market. Which isn’t nothing, but what fraction of those people are writing long form projects that would benefit from Scrivener?

Katherine