Please Separate the 'Find' and 'Find and Replace' Functions

I think Scrivener should separate the ‘find’ command and ‘replace/replace all’ command and give them different default shortcuts. Find (command+F) is an extremely common function on most computer programs, and it is mainly used just to find text. ‘Replace All’ is a ludicrously powerful and potentially very destructive command that should have a dedicated interface (and should also warn you with a pop-up before you commit to the change). It bothers me that Scrivener has these two functions together, because I am always looking for words in my entire manuscript… But, what if I was searching for this word and that word and doing it really fast, and my mouse slipped down to “replace all”, but I didn’t notice I replaced a common word with a blank space. Since Scrivener doesn’t warn you before you replace all, you could do this and not realise and then move onto your next search. Then, months later you could learn that you screwed up your entire manuscript after doing a ton more work on it. Do you see what I mean? I tested this out on a test document and was shocked to discover how dangerous this was and how easily it could happen. My workaround from now on will be to use “Quick Search” instead of “Find”, because “Replace All” is too powerful/destructive to be connected to the very basic “Find.” I know it would be hard to move the mouse down to “replace all” but it could happen, if you’re tired or moving fast.

If you’re looking in the entire manuscript, you would want to use the Project Search bar, above the Binder.

Also, project-wide Replace commands warn you that they are potentially destructive.

Katherine

I don’t recall ever encountering a Find tool that didn’t also come with a replacement capability built into the same window (excepting of course cases where the software is very simple and it doesn’t have replacement). The Undo command is typically enough to keep a tool like this safe.

You may also, as I do, not only find it “safer” but more efficient to just hit the Return key rather than stopping to reach for the mouse and clicking on a button. After that you can press ⌘G to jump to the next match. You don’t even need the window for most searching.

But really though, I don’t think many people accidentally click the wrong button here. They are located far each other on purpose. You’d have to be a really chaotic mouse user to hit a spot an entire 2.5cm away from the target!