Pls Educate Me Re Simple Sharing

I now have a second, small Windows 10 computer that I’d like to run Scrivener on when on a trip and maybe even when away for the day.

What’s the simplest, safest way to share my project on the two computers?

I was thinking I’d avoid the complication of DropBox, and simply copy the project folder from one machine to the other, then back again when I return home. I’m also concerned that dropbox will consume too many resources, automatically synchronizing files. But maybe my concerns are unfounded.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Dropbox.

I ran Scrivener on two Macs before the iOS version was out. Having the Dropbox app on both computers and having the project in the Dropbox folder made it super simple. Just remember to close the project when you leave one computer so you don’t try to have it open simultaneously on both machines.

The safest way to transfer a project is to use the Backup To command, and check the box to create a ZIP backup. Once you’ve done that, you can email it, copy it to a flash drive, or use whatever transfer method you like.

The good news is that this approach is pretty much immune to any risk of data corruption or synchronization error. It is also the most secure, as the project never needs to be exposed to the internet or to any system that you don’t personally control.

The bad news is that this transfers the entire project, not just the component files that might have changed. For large projects, compressing, uncompressing, and transferring the data can add up to significant time. Keeping track of which version is which is entirely up to you.

The most convenient mechanism is Dropbox. Install the Dropbox software on both machines, move the project to the Dropbox folder, and synchronization will “just work.” The project will be accessible from either machine with no further action on your part. However, because there is an inherent delay in uploading from Machine A and downloading to Machine B, during which the connection can fail, the potential for synchronization errors does exist. Please read this article for best practices to minimize the risks: scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ … c-services

Personally, I use Dropbox, and that’s what L&L uses internally as well.

Katherine

Thanks, guys.

I’ve found that simply copying the entire folder that holds the .scriv folder back and forth works well. That way I have the images that are linked to a file. That is, when both computers are hooked to my network I copy the files.

Yes, if the two computers are directly connected – or indirectly connected via a network or USB key – it should be this simple. Effectively, this is just like copying from one location to another on the local hard drive.

The problem is that this approach often doesn’t work if you’re using email or transferring via a third-party synchronization service, because those services often don’t do a “recursive” copy, working down through the project’s full directory structure.

Katherine

What resources? The Dropbox app only syncs the files you change, and it does it while you write… you will never notice what’s happening. It’s quietly done in the background.