Possible iTunes Fraud

Two weeks ago I got a new receipt in which I discovered two apps of which I never heard of. I contacted iTunes Support - and am still waiting for an answer; 72 hours response time, my ass! - but apparently nothing happened. One week later I was idly looking for update and - well, I got my money back, without any notice.

Unfortunately, my account got deactivated as well. Repeated mails to iTunes Support failed to produce an answer, so I missed all those wonderful, shiny, and mostly useless christmas apps. Well, some of them I would have bought, but could not. Today I started a short search for the dubious apps and their developers’ name and found six more people who were having exactly the same problem with said developers software during the same period of time.

If anyone has actually bought software from S-DFlyStudio: please drop me a note. If you haven’t bought software from them, but got billed for it - drop me two notes - er - one would be sufficient.

Obviously, I do not know if it is S-DFlyStudio themselves or someone is misusing their AppStore-account but I’d like to gather as much information as possible.
Thanks.

Hi, zikade.
Well, there are spoof itunes-receipt emails going around.
But since your money was taken, it appears that your iTunes account has been compromised, and I’m not sure S-DFlyStudio had anything to do with it – might be hackers. I found several discussions in the Apple Discussions forums regarding unauthorized purchases:
discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp … tstart=135
discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp … &#12654014
discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp … &#12767616
So, if your account is reactivated, it might be best to remove any sort of billing info from your iTunes account, and choose a new (long and complicated :neutral_face: ) password. I wouldn’t keep credit card info in my Itunes account.

My thoughts as well. Thank you for the links, it seems to be a more common situation, though. I wonder why I never heard about those frauds.
Thankfully, I do sometimes pay attention to proper advice so I deleted my credit card details ages ago. Don’t want to mess with those guys, not anymore.

This whole thing is really funny, in a way, since it also spiked my curiosity: as far as I know it is not possible to use a new Mac for buying things in the iTunes Store without some sort of confirmation. I was on the receiving end of this one after installing Snow Leopard on my MacBook after lobotomizing it’s hard drive. Or getting my new iPhone, for that matter. So, being naive, either somebody has indeed compromised Apples security measures for the iTunes Store, or somebody was able to obtain that information from either my iPhone - which I doubt - or my MacBook. Which I happen to doubt as well, since I am quite careful which kind of software I am installing and with whom those software tries to communicate.

However, right now I’m just trying to collect more of these most interesting cases. Probably for nothing, but still - it is interesting, after all. I would have guessed that, of all things in the world, the iTunes Store as one of the pillars of Apples success would be the next best thing to invulnerable. And the most interesting target for anybody out there, admitted.

As I get it, iTunes frauds might be more common than we think. Fore instance, those outrageously cheap iTunes gift cards sold on eBay? I bet many of these come right out of hacked iTunes accounts.

Glad you’re taking it well. If that happened to me, it would have spiked my panic attack, not my curiosity. :wink:

Well, it would have spiked my first heart attack if I truly had all my credit card details stored within iTunes. It would have been… well, lets assume my next living area would have been the debtors’ prison and I couldn’t care less for that kind of accommodation.

I don’t know how secure 1password’s passwords are, but after that little incursion into my boring daily routine I thought a 20-digit randomized password might be a tad more secure :slight_smile:. Jaysen here in this forum once told me a lot about some kind of cyber-attacks where any passwords are worthless, but let’s assume this is just harmless stuff, right?

I do wonder, however, when I will be able to use my account again.

Bug support. :smiley: Repeatedly. :smiling_imp:

Consider calling → International Technical Support Numbers (but we don’t REALLY want you to use these now, do we?)

Also:
Apple: Contact Us (but we don’t really mean that you actually do).

Good luck!

The first thing I would look at is are you accessing your iTunes account from more than one device?

Well, yes, of course. My Mac at home, my MacBook and my IPhone. But thats it, all devices are currently at my home, which I hardly left since December 7th, courtesy of a car accident at that date. At my working place I do have a MacPro, but without an iTunes-Account.

According to my research up to now, those frauds were comparateviley rare; but skyrocketed within the last couple of weeks. My guess: during the usual christmas shopping frenzy these things tend to remain unnoticed. That’s pure gut feeling, of course, any other ideas are welcome.

The reason I ask is many people sometimes check things on the internet from a friends/co-workers computer - many times from a PC. Maybe even from say a public terminal (like pc in a hotel, library, or school). And many times people tend to forget they did that. Sometimes its not a device you own yourself but another device (such as a friend’s computer) that may be compromised and thus leading to stolen passwords etc.

I have found that Facebook linking to Yahoo has led to many yahoo accounts being breached. I have also seen a lot of data theft from computers that access Facebook. Here is some info on the security issues with facebook.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20004511-83.html

And of course there are many others
iTunes Pay pal scam
tuaw.com/2010/08/24/thousand … ypal-scam/

The iTunes Facebook Giftcard Scam
brighthub.com/internet/secur … 00911.aspx

etc
etc
etc

Thanks, Wock. Since Jaysen told me something about internet security - or the lack thereof - I’ve been at least somewhat cautious about what I am doing. Well, at least where I think it counts.

So far, I’ve been able to identify around 25 other people with the same problem by using Google and skimming the links Cadence provided. That’s just those who openly admit they’ve been had; dunno about those still and quietly hoping for an answer.

More interesting and most frustrating is Apple’s web support staff; just 3 hours after posting, probing for more information from other victims, all my posts simply vanished and I got a nice and polite mail, stating that those places are only for technical problems; obviously not for Apples technical problems. I do wish that whoever is scanning the posts over there would switch to the iTunes Support staff. I still wait for an answer after posting my first support request 13 days ago. Like nearly anybody else who got framed like my humble self. Misery loves company.

I too have a issues with false purchases on my iTunes account. Early November, a Chinese app was purchased (around £30) and then several small “in-app” purchases from the same application. Needless to say, I’d never heard of the app, and it wasn’t even listed as an available download on my account.

It took me some time to figure out exactly how to report this issue, but eventually I did exchange emails with an iTunes support bod who refunded me the amounts. He did take the time to stress that this was a “one off” and that Apple’s policy clearly states that all purchases are “final” (even though these weren’t purchases I had made). Subsequently, I’ve un-linked my credit card from my iTunes account, and I’ll only buy vouchers from now on if I want to make a purchase.

Wouldn’t hurt to mention stuff like this to your credit card company. First, that will protect you if Apple refuses to reverse the charge. And second, they probably have more leverage with Apple than you do.

Katherine