Possible to compile to XLingPaper format or LaTeX format?

Would there be a way to use your software to do the research and writing, but have a way to compile it to XLingPaper’s XML format (see www.xlingpaper.org for details)? I would see this as part of the next phase of finalizing publication.

Or barring that, would there be a way to compile to a LaTeX template? The value of your software is that it provides a good context for the research itself, but wordprocessors do not always handle the formatting requirements reliably (especially for theses or dissertations). LaTeX is good, but in the writing phase, I’m not sure I want to be grappling with LaTeX codes. So, if there was a way to do the preliminary work in Scrivener and then be able to compile to XLingPaper or LaTeX with a specified template, then this would represent a valuable time savings for linguistic (or other academic) research (imho).

I know that will not be a major segment of your users, but leveraging things your software does well so that you can be part of the workflow so people can move the document along to another tool in that workflow may be a good “selling” point for academic users. I just thought I would pass that thought along for what it was worth. Thanks for taking the time to consider it.

Have you had a look at MultiMarkdown yet? It’s basically Markdown with a few additions useful to writing such as footnotes and tables. MMD itself is capable of converting to LaTeX, and we have integration for doing so built right into the software (you can even set up your .tex preamble and footer if you wish). If you are unfamiliar, Markdown is easy on the eyes, and easy to learn as well, so it’s not at all like writing in LaTeX, more like a wiki or bbcode.

As for other export formats, Pandoc is a great all-purpose Markdown-based converter. I’m not sure if it supports precisely what you’re looking for, but with either MMD or Pandoc you can get to generic XML (at the least well-formed HTML) and from XML you can get to anything with a little scripting knowledge.

If that sounds interesting, check out the MultiMarkdown chapter in the user manual (under Writing), and as well we have a whole board here dedicated to MMD and technical formats. A lot of LaTeX discussion ends up in there as well.

And to add, automatic numbering (which XLingPaper considers its #1 feature) is available within Scrivener (check placeholder tags list in help menu) and works wonderfully with MMD / Pandoc. Pandoc also handles citations, but I can’t think of any way other than scripting to handle the auto-generated abbreviations lists (Pandoc does support generic abbreviation list formatting though).

I’ve long used Scrivener+MMD for theses, academic papers and long grant reports, and recently switched to Pandoc as the post-processor as it is really flexible in its output options. Asciidoctor is another, far richer plain text markup but is aimed at technical writers rather than academics: asciidoctor.org