Possible UI bugs in Big Sur

I used to be a Ulysses user, but since Ulysses is completely broken in Big Sur, I tried Scrivener and came to like it a lot. However, I’m finding some UI bugs (possibly only in Big Sur) quite annoying along the way of experimenting with Scrivener :

1. When you scroll down to the middle of a text and toggle on and off the inspector panel, the editor view of the text would automatically move up. Toggling several times the inspector panel would bring the text view all the way to the top.

2. I discovered that there are 2 kinds of focus : focus on the binder or the text, the latter of which requires you click 2 times (first on the binder then in the text). Many times I want to reference a particular text, and I do it by clicking on the title in the binder (so it’s focus on the binder now) and scroll down to the reference part. Later, when I need to reference back to the same part, either by clicking on the title in the binder again or by using “backward/forward in the history”, the original position is gone and the text view is automatically moved to the top of the text which is default. I found out later that only if you click in the text in the reference area, hence putting the focus on the text, can you retain the original position when referencing back. This is inconvenient since you are not trying to edit the text but simply to reference this part of the text. It would bring less clicking and more convenience if the scroll position was retained whether the focus is on the binder or on the text (as is the case in Ulysses).

Thanks and pardon me if my English is not good enough to articulate the idea,
Qian

Now that we’ve had a chance to upload the macOS 11 compatibility update for Scrivener (3.2.0), and the OS itself is out of beta, if you upgrade to that, do you find the first problem has been solved? There were some tweaks made to spontaneous scrolling issues.

On the second matter, that sounds to me more like you’re expecting one thing while it is programmed to do another thing, very intentionally. The software tracks and stores your cursor position (which includes the full selection), not wherever you might have visually moved the scrollbar to in the past. There is likely no correct answer to that, some are going to want it one way, others will want it another (and there is a third group that insists we should never do any of that and always scroll to the top!), so it’s just a matter of getting used to it. In Scrivener, if you want to save your place, click in the spot to let it know that is what you want. I like to double-click, as that leaves a word highlighted and is easier to spot than little blinking cursor.

By the way, if you like to reduce clicking, you could try using the Quick Search tool for navigation instead of clicking in the binder. It’s a good habit to get into anyway, as you will continue to find things quickly even if the binder is large and what you are looking for is far away. Press ⌃⌘G, type in a little of the name, and when it highlights, hit the Return key. The side benefit of doing this is that when you use it from the editor, the cursor stays in the editor.