Possibly Lost Everything

The final facts:

1. The project upgrade script from Scrivener 1 to Scrivener 3 is a mess, not because it is buggy (which it is), but because it has no decent error handling whatsoever. The biggest problem is not that it will fail under certain circumstances, but that it will fail silently and leave the user under the impression that a job has been done, when in fact it hasn’t. This violates the most basic principles of professional programming, and if you add to that the total ignorance with which this problem has (not) been handled, you have a situation that is unforgiveable in such an environment.

2. The Scrivener team recommends not to use removable media because they are “unsafe”. The next thing they do is introduce a bug that will be particularly dangerous (although not exclusive) to anyone who does use removable media. The bug could be easily fixed, but instead of doing so (which would take maybe10 minutes, see #4), they tell everyone they have been warned of the dangers of removable media. This is the equivalent of parents warning their kids not to play in the street, after which they go and buy a 16 ton diesel truck, run everyone over who is still on the street and shout a happy “See, we told ya so”!

3. Not that it should matter, but as I have already pointed out, the bug that the Scrivener team for some reason is unwilling to defuse doesn’t only affect users of removable media. It could just as well hit Allan with his encrypted 4 or 8 GB drives, or the person with the 13GB project in Katherines example. I have explained the exact circumstances und which the problem will occurr, and I have also explained why it is a problem in spite of the project backups done by the upgrade script, so I will not do it again here.

4. The biggest threat, however, isn’t the bug itself, but the attitude behind it: The attitude of developers unwilling to fix a potentially harmful problem, even though all the grunt work has already been done for them and all they would really have to do is add a routine to check if the disk space needed to execute their script is actually available (something any half decent programmer would do anyway). And the attitude of users who lack the solidarity to demand that a problem be fixed, even though they think it is not THEIR problem (which is kinda ironic, because even though I understand the problem now and can avoid it, I have been fighting on to protect fellow writers who have no idea of this trap). Predictably, this means that, at some point down the road, one of those who think they need to side with unresponsive developers today will hit the same wall tomorrow, and meet the same ignorance by both developers and fellow writers.

5. It is somewhat dazzling that most people wouldn’t even recognize passive aggressive behavior if was signposted. I had already explained in detail that the problem isn’t specific to a certain file, but will happen under certain circumstances, regardless of the file. To that, tiho_d responded:

The key to understanding this gem are the words “on your hard drive” (which is a reference to him insisting that the problem will “only” occur on full USB sticks - which I have proven to be untrue). tiho_d never said he has problems replicating the issue (most likely he didn’t even try), what he is actually saying is he doesn’t give a damn as long as it can’t be replicated with a specific file on any unspecific drive. Any data loss that’s due to “circumstances” is really just the users fault for not avoiding those “circumstances”. (And if you doubt any of that, read up on his previous posts and the information I have given.)

Recommended literature:
The thread where all of this started - Data loss during transition
Idiot’s guide to passive aggressive behavior - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive-a … e_behavior

I will unsubscribe from this thread now, and I’m not coming back. I wish everyone good look and I’m crossing my fingers that the next problem with this software, that is bound to happen (see #4), won’t affect “you”, but the poor writer next to you. Hasta la vista.