Praise and Suggestions for Scrivener 2.0

I am a huge fan of Scrivener and the new update is brilliant. I’ll definitely be upgrading. Kudos on the GUI, improved keyboard shortcuts, DropBox support and the comments section in particular.

Some questions/suggestions:

1. Is it possible to change the default formatting of the comments?

2. When you press the back arrow in the Preferences it would make more sense if it took you back to the main preferences screen rather than to the adjacent Preference pane.

3. Is it possible to somehow write a comment that is not attached to a sentence? For example, I use comments to say things like “rewrite this sentence” and I highlight the particular sentence. However, it’d be great if I could say “how about a fight scene ?” without having to select a sentence or switch to the project notes? IE I’d like to manage all my notes/comments from within one inspect pane.

Thanks!

You can choose the font in the preferences.

That’s what “Show All” is for.

No. Inspector comments are comments on a piece of text. Inline annotations are for notes within the text itself.

All the best,
Keith

Well in that precise case, you probably could make do with a placeholder. By that I mean, just type in a space or a tab, select it, and comment on it. Presumably, you’ll be going back to that spot to write a fight scene, so when you do you can just select the commented tab in the editor and start typing—the note will be automatically deleted, which is good since you don’t need it anymore anyway.

I’d just use an inline annotation there (or a text bookmark), but if you want them all in one spot in the inspector, that’s probably the best way to approach it. Obviously, you wouldn’t want to use this technique for comments that might survive to final manuscript compile.

Cheers for the info.

So if I leave the comments in the inspector pane, Scrivener will add them to the complied draft and/or print them?

I was comparing the Scrivener system preferences to the OS X System Preferences. Consider how System Preferences in OS X handles backwards, forwards and Show All vs Scrivener. Backwards responds differently in Scrivener which might confuse some people.

Not unless you specifically tell the compiler to do that, no. My point was that using a placeholder like this would create a blank spot in your manuscript. An inline annotation, when stripped from the manuscript, leaves no trace of its existence, but a stripped inspector comment leaves behind whatever it was attached to—usually not a problem, since it is attached to book content—but in this case it leaves behind a tab floating in the middle of an empty paragraph.

This is true about the preference buttons. Tradition is about the only argument in favour of copying Apple. It is otherwise a meaningless set of buttons. History is useful when your activities produce a forking chain of events, but navigating amongst preferences using a central page doesn’t produce a chain, it produces a a yo-yo, which means at the “top” of the yo-yo, two buttons are doing the same exact thing, and at the bottom of the yo-yo, two unlabelled buttons do what two graphical buttons already accomplish but without the guesswork.

If there were any argument at all, it would be to remove them, for they are worthless as history buttons—but quite useful as browsing buttons. If you don’t know where a particular preference is, your navigation pattern ceases to be a yo-yo and becomes a more efficient chain from one pane to the next as you hunt for the elusive option directly.

Now, if preferences were a labyrinth of panes, navigable from one to another, and with sub-sub-panes not even accessible from the central top page—then history would make sense.

That’s the idea anyway. :slight_smile: