Pre Sales Questions

I just found out about Scrivener today and would like to get to know more about the program please:

Can you use Scrivener as a final step in the ebook creations process. At this time my book is in Libre Office format.

How does Scrivener compare to Sigil? What are the both the programs strengths and weaknesses?

I have no plans to move to Epub3 but will Scrivener support that?

Is Scrivener ever on sale?

One thing really bothered me was an amazon review:
“Made for the Mac
Scrivener’s first home was and always will be the Mac platform. Scrivener is a native, Universal Mac application designed by Mac-lovers and built entirely using Apple’s Cocoa frameworks.”
Is this true? Mac has priority and Windows will never have the same features?

Thanks for any help

I can answer one of those: eventually the Windows version will have all of the features that the Mac version has.

The Mac and Windows versions are both being developed constantly, though, so Mac might always have its nose in front.

You might want to download the demo version. :slight_smile:

I seem to remember seeing some kind of deal where, if you bought Scrivener, you got a discount on some other software… Or was it the other way around…?

You can. Likely you won’t have any issues if you are just doing a text-only, single-font (for the body) ebook. If you mean something made to showcase the more advanced features of iBooks, then then the answer is no, you have to transition from Scrivener to publishing software for that kind of output and polish there.

Note that Scrivener’s major strength is getting you from the planning stage to your first draft or two. It has a lot of output formats that it supports, but if you have needs that go beyond the basics, you may have to finish up in a program designed for the purpose of producing publishable output.

It compares like apples do to oranges. As above, Scrivener is your planning, drafting and first-round-of-edits tool. Sigil is your tweak-your-ebook’s-internal-HTML-to-fix-a-display-glitch-on-certain-e-readers tool.

Drafting, revising, and finalizing your book in a standard office suite and then moving to Scrivener to produce publishable output is to ignore each tool’s greatest strengths and use them where they are at their ‘weakest’*.

• Which is not to say that either tool is ‘weak’, but that there are things that recommend them to the opposite jobs to which you seem to be applying them to.

Sigil only creates ebooks. Scrivener creates them and PDFs, and Word files (if you must), and and and.

You can really only tweak your eBook’s presentation with Sigil but don’t ever consider using it to author more than a few paragraphs. Scrivener on the other hand aids you in your writing, getting the order of argumentation (plot elements for fiction) correct because the Binder lets you see it as does the Corkboard (personally I never use the Corkboard).

Sigil is open source. Support, while good, is at the discretion of those working on the code. Scrivener is a commercial product, Support is beyond good. No comparison.