preserve formatting

Hi, there

Hope you can help me.
If you see the attachment “Brooke” is not in the middle on the Kindle preview but I have activated “Preserve formatting”.

Also I have a problem with the ***. They are with “preserve formatting” but in Kindle preview they are in one side.

How can I fix this? Thanks!!
Captura de pantalla 2016-04-11 a las 18.25.55.png

Captura de pantalla 2016-04-11 a las 18.21.24.png

This previous discussion might help you figure out what is wrong. Let me know if anything isn’t clear.

Thanks, I let you know if I am still lost.
Cheers!

Hi there

I noticed this indent is causing the problem (please see attachment). How can I remove it all at once in my document?

Thanks!!

I’m not aware of any way to do that. You can make multiple selections in separate places of the text by holding down the Command key when you select text, and thus change paragraph settings for several non-consecutive paragraphs, but you still have to select the paragraphs.

Just one thought.
In Settings is not possible to remove that indent and apply the change for the whole document?
What is the purpose of the button “Using formatting in current editor”?

Thanks.

If you are satisfied with removing the indent on everything, not just the headings that have Preserve Formatting applied, then that is already easy to do. I was thinking you did not want to lose indents on normal paragraphs, which is what I was responding to above. There would be no way to tell software “only change these lines” without you yourself selecting them. If you don’t mind changing everything, then by all means, hit Cmd-A to select all of the text is slide the indent marker all the way over to the left.

Yes, there are further instructions for working with these tools in this knowledge base article. In particular, note that these settings only impact new documents you create (it would not be safe at all to just force formatting to change in every single document in every single project across the Mac!). So you do have to tell Scrivener which documents to update, and that document explains the process.

Important note however, Preserve Formatting is special. :slight_smile: It will protect text in the text editor as well as through compile. The tools to update formatting globally will ignore text marked as preserved—as presumably that text is special and shouldn’t be subject to “body text” adjustments. So specifically in this case, I wouldn’t recommend that approach.

In the editor, put your cursor into a paragraph that you would like to use as “normal” text, then go into the preferences panel and click that button. Generally that will be easier than manually changing all of the settings in the Formatting pane by hand.

One last point, unless I’m misunderstanding what you are doing, what you are trying to do manually can be done automatically. Basically it looks like you are combining the automatic chapter naming feature in the Formatting compile option pane, where it prints “Chapter #”, with formatted text in the editor at the top of the first scene to print the rest of the title. Instead, you can use the Formatting pane to print the entire heading, the chapter number and the name—that would be the normal way of doing this. Preserve Formatting and all that stuff works, but it is hugely less efficient than just printing the folder name below the “Chapter #” bit and establishing the formatting for the heading in one single location, the Formatting compile pane, rather than in dozens of instances of text. This very scenario is a good example of why: if you need to change the heading format (like fixing the indent), you have to change dozens of lines of text by hand. If your chapter headings were being produced 100% by the compiler, then to fix all of the headings you would need to make one single change and recompile.

Again, you may have a perfectly valid reason to not do things that way, I don’t mean to suggest one must do things the way I describe, but if all you are doing is printing “line 2” of the heading, then doing half in the compile settings and half in the editor is something you could optimise if you wished to.