Preserve hyperlinks to web when exporting one chapter of a project

New user here. I’m working on a memoir using the general nonfiction template. I make frequent use of inline hyperlinks to the internet within the body of the text. Is there a way to export one chapter of my project as a freestanding file, complete with “live” links, so I can share or submit just that one chapter? When I use “Export to Word (.docx)” Scrivener outputs the text of the target chapter, but the links are no longer present.
I have not yet tackled learning about “compile.” I’m a bit intimidated by it and was hoping for a simpler way. If not, then so be it; just let me know.
Many thanks.

Links should be preserved in that case.

Make sure that they are in fact not linked: Word doesn’t always preserve link formatting from other programs.

Also, try exporting to RTF and opening the result in Word. That will use Microsoft’s converter, rather than ours.

But honestly, the time to start figuring out the Compile command is with a few chapters early in the process, not when you have a looming deadline and hundreds of pages.

3 Likes

Hi. Thanks for your reply.
You are correct: The anchor text is still linked. What has disappeared is Word’s formatting of the anchor text as blue with blue underlining.
I get the same end result whether I Export to Word’s “.docx” format, or to Rich Text Format and then convert to Word . Same also when I export from Scrivener to PDF: There’s no visible clue to the presence of a link, but when I float over the text the little PDF “hand” appears and the text is clickable.

I searched online but was unable to discover a way to force Word to restore the blue typeface and blue inderlining.

My next strategy will be to create a Project consisting just of the one chapter, then compile it (unless there’s a way to compile just one chapter from a larger project?). But a Compiled document is different from Word or PDF, so I don’t know how shareable it’s going to be.
Onward.

You can Compile any subset of your Draft folder, from just the title of a single document all the way up to the whole thing.

The Compiled document is not “different from Word or PDF.” It’s a completely “authentic” Word (or PDF, or whatever) file. That’s the whole point.

There’s an option in the “Compatibility” pane of the Compile Format editor to ensure that hyperlinks are colored and underlined. You’ll want to check that option. For PDF files, make sure the option to “Remove text color” on the main Compile screen is not checked. These options are discussed in more detail in the manual.

2 Likes

This is true.

A suggested quick work-around if Compile too daunting at this time, would be:

1. Export from Scrivener to Word.
  2. Select all (Ctrl+A) in Word.
  3. Copy (Ctrl+C).
  4. Open OneNote and Add Page (using the Add Page icon).
  5. Paste (Ctrl+V), your content pastes with the hyperlink underlined and in blue into a OneNote container.
  6. Select all in OneNote by clicking on the top ridge of the container.
  7. Ctrl+C to copy all the content.
  8. Back in Word, Ctrl+V, everything pastes with the hyperlinks showing up in blue and underlined.

It may take aligning your font used between Word and OneNote on first use.

1 Like

Thanks! I confused “Compile” with conversion to epub or mobi for electronic publishing.

You can use the Compile command to create an ePub. But you can also use it to create a bunch of other formats.