Preserving Blockquotes (WAS: Scrivener Needs to Finish)

So, is there a way to tell it “always preserve formatting” to avoid having to find all blockquotes and apply this?

In my novels, I use blockquotes to show when somebody is “texting” somebody else. So, I’d say there are a dozen or so instances spread out over 300 pages. So, instead of having to scroll through all pages and apply, is there a one-step solution to preserve blockquotes?

Instead of just asking the question, I tried it out. I’m working on a template for when I write my next novels (don’t even have one, yet I fancy I’ll write many). I plugged in some Ipsum Lorem and then made a blockquote. I then redefined the blockquote from selection. A little while further I created another blockquote–and it included the preservation. So, “future” blocks are formatted adequately.

I then went into my current project and created a Preserved Blockquote (if you will) with one of the blockquotes. I scrolled down a wee bit further to another blockquote area and it had not been preserved.

So, life is a bit easier by being able to create a “preserved” blockquote style and then apply it after the fact…

How is the app to know automatically which paragraphs out of the hundreds you’ve written already you want preserved as a block quote without you telling it?

Mark

Are the indentations for the rest of your text how you would like it in Compile? If so, under the “Options” of the “Formatting” pane of Compile, you can tick “Preserve tabs and indents”:

This will cause all other text formatting to be overridden (so long as “Override formatting” is on of course), but not tabs or indents. This applies to all text, of course.

Other than that, no, there’s no way other than to go through manually, because, as Mark says, there’s no way for Scrivener to know what should be preserved and what shouldn’t.

All the best,
Keith

Well, if you say “always preserve blockquote,” then the tool should be able to identify text segments identified as such.

But they aren’t identified as such, because Scrivener doesn’t have a styles system. A preset is just a particular set of formatting with an arbitrary name, which the user can change or delete or replace. Applying a preset just applies the formatting - there’s nothing in that formatting that tells Scrivener that “this is a block quote”. Once applied, it’s just some text with indents. And even if it knew, what should be preserved? Just the indents? Or the font as well (which you might want if your character is texting)? Or the line spacing too? And so on. Much better to use a “Preserve Formatting” block and then tell Compile which aspects of “Preserve Formatting” should be preserved. And “Preserve Formatting” can become part of a preset, so if you set up a preset that has the indents you want and “Preserve Formatting” already applied, then you are all set.

All the best,
Keith

That explains why it would be a bit on the difficult side for you to export to something like LaTeX… I assumed a system of encoding the data under the covers that isn’t there. I’m used to thinking in terms of Markdown or LaTeX; where it’s a blockquote because it’s styled that way, so to speak.