Preview of MultiMarkdown

I posted a topic in the MMD section of the forum and maybe I posted it in the wrong place since my question is really about a Scrivener feature/capability.

I am evaluating Scrivener (have not purchased it yet). I wanted to see it is was a good fit. What I was looking to find out is, does Scrivener give you a preview of MultiMarkdown content or do I have to export it to see it?

On a side note, can I create and preview regular Markdown?

I like what I am seeing so far but being able to utilize the simplicity of Markdown is an important criteria to me.

Thanks for any wisdom you may share,
Art

Art Wheat
SiteSteward, Inc.
SiteSteward.com

You’ve got to export to see it. Live MultiMarkdown is something much more viable than it used to be. For small stuff, you could get away with a previewer—some variants of Notational Velocity, for instance—but for larger works like the type Scrivener works with, render times could take a long while. Twenty, forty, sometimes several minutes with really long books. Granted you aren’t going to be viewing the whole book in Scrivener very often, but chances are you will be editing larger sections of that book from time to time, and having to wait 15 or 20 seconds after a letter strike to see any change in the “live” preview would render it useless.

Now that it’s a C binary and wicked fast even with large projects, a live previewer is much more feasible. As for whether or not Scrivener needs a feature like that is up to Keith. I have my doubts, and I use MMD for everything. I get the appeal of a live preview for short stuff and programs that are going to help with blog posting or whatnot—but a book (or similar)? Most text has no mark-up at all so there would often be no need for a preview showing the same text in both columns. But if you use a preview pane to proof your work, well—might as well just compile and import the proof copy as that needn’t be done every few seconds.

MultiMarkdown is a superset of Markdown, it’s fully backward compatible. The syntax features it adds are useful for writers (footnotes, cross-references, tables, etc) but all Markdown syntax is unchanged and useful as well.

Thank you very much for the in-depth reply. My main use is for blogs and web editing so the preview capability is very useful for me. I can see how it would not be something for someone writing large chapters or books.

Are you aware of any software tools that would accomplish what I am looking for. Still reading up on all the documentation from a variety of different tools I’m looking into. If someone knows, I’d be grateful for them speeding me along.

Many thanks,
Art

Art Wheat
SiteSteward, Inc.
SiteSteward.com

Try TextMate. It’s not a blogging platform, rather just a plain-text editor, but you can download some nice “bundles” (plug-ins) for it. I think Markdown comes with it, but if not it is easy to get off of the plug-in repository. There is a MultiMarkdown bundle as well, though that doesn’t to live preview. Some people like to use a tool like QuickCursor to link TextMate (or another preferred editor) to Scrivener. That way you get the power of a plain-text editor tuned to a syntax, without giving up the organisational aspects of Scrivener.