Price Differences

I was debating whether to buy the Scrivener Application from the Mac App Store or via the website.

At first I thought I though it was cheaper from the site but adding vat took it to £35.63 and the App Store had it for £31.99.

But why do Window’s users, as per usual, get the best deals by getting it cheaper again £31.67 (inc vat). I’ve used macs for 20 years and have always felt aggrieved by venders selling the same software for a premium for mac users. Especially if the vendor made it big on the mac platform initially.

I know there is a wider base of windows users but surely no customer should feel they have to pay more then their windows counterpart for the same thing!

Lee

Quite simply put, because the Windows version isn’t anywhere near to the Mac version in polish, features, and breadth yet. It’s definitely a solid product that is on par with and in many ways superior to the old Scrivener 1.x—but it’s not quite up to the current standard, so its price is equal to what Scrivener was back when it was 1.x. When it catches up; it’ll be the same price. It has nothing to do with a wider market base—just that we didn’t think it would be fair to charge 2.x prices for a 1.x product.

As for where to buy from: that’s mostly up to taste. The MAS will actually charge you VAT as well, so there is no difference there. I myself prefer to, as much as is possible, physically buy a product. I.e. to have a code and a download I can archive for years to come. Others would prefer a “cloud” like structure where they don’t have to keep track of all that stuff at the risk of losing access to it if said cloud disappears, or if Apple decides to yank the program out of the store for some reason, or any other link in the chain, disappears. Those are the main practical considerations and risks on each side. I wouldn’t say any other differences are definite pros/cons. Scrivener can keep itself up to date if you buy it directly off the site. There are hassles with eSellerate in rare cases; but hassles with MAS receipts at about an equal rate. Oh, one pro for the direct version: it does a few extra installation things for you that you have to do manually with the MAS version on account of restrictive measures for inclusion. That may become more of a factor as “Sandboxing” becomes prevalent in the future. Another pro for the direct version: it still runs on G4 computers running Tiger, and you can install it behind even the most fierce corporate firewall. Not so with the MAS, which requires a late generation Intel computer, 10.6.6+, and a clear Internet connection. So if you are concerned that this might ever be a factor, or is a factor now, that makes your choice easier.

It’s also worth mentioning that if you buy from L&L direct then a higher proportion of the proceeds go to the developers, as Apple takes quites a slice of the retail price for the priviledge.

Along with Ioa’s points, this would be enough to swing it in the favour of the direct purchase for me.