Primary and Secondary Display Resolution/Size/Scaling

I’m on Windows 11 Insider Dev Channel, so automatically receive the latest updates. Scrivener is v3.
My primary display is a 4K laptop, while my secondary display is 1080p external monitor.
I prefer to work on two screens - I have no interest in noodling with a split screen on a single monitor.
I have a File with my list of character linked to Project Bookmarks.
Clicking on the File I’m then able to select a character via an internal link I’ve set to the specific character’s detailed sketch (File). I’ve set all links to open with Quick Reference. When it opens, I drag it to my secondary monitor. All well and good, no resolution/sizing/scaling problems.
But, as soon as I perform a search within the Quick Reference document open on the second monitor, Find explodes into an oversized pop-up over two Screens. The only way to fix it is then to drag everything back to my primary monitor and manually readjust the size of the Find popup. It won’t adjust back to its original size by simply closing Scrivener.
I’ve tried to set Scrivener to start in various compatibility modes, but to be direct, it either then looks crap on my 4K monitor, or oversized on my secondary monitor.
Is there a way to fix the issue with pop-up menus between monitors of different resolution and scaling settings?

All my monitors are the same resolution, so I haven’t had this specific issue, but I’ve definitely noticed that using Find in QuickRef panels is twitchy.

For example, if I have an Outliner displayed in either of the main Scrivener window editors, then I can’t even get the Find screen to pop up on a QuickRef. (Instead, Scrivener opens a search field over the editor with the Outliner.) Another is that, when I launch Find on a QuickRef, there’s no telling on which monitor the Find Screen will pop up–it might be on the monitor containing the QuickRef, or it might be the other one.

So I sympathize with your plight. :frowning_face:

I don’t have a fix, but since the issue seems to be related to Scrivener’s main window having a different resolution than the QuickRef panel, try moving the QuickRef panel to the same monitor as Scrivener’s main window before you launch the Find popup. Perhaps you can move the QuickRef back to the other monitor once the Find popup is running.

Another thing to try. Leave the QuickRef panels as is on the low res monitor and Scrivener’s main window on your 4k monitor. Click in one of the editors in the main Scrivener and launch the Find popup. Then, shift the focus to your QuickRef panel by clicking in the QuickRef panel’s editor. Try the search. If that is successful, awesome. You can take that a step further if you leave the Find popup open and available for whenever you need to search. Just direct the search to the appropriate editor by clicking in it first.

If any of these work, than at least you have a workaround. :nerd_face:

Hopefully someone comes along with a real fix.

Best,
Jim

Thanks. It’s a pity. Working on two screens is how I run everything else in my life.
Another drawback with Quick Reference is that there is no option to hold onto the Ruler if I set it to on when open. As soon as QR is closed and reopened, the Ruler needs to switched on again, if needed. I’d hoped that S3 would have developed QR to be on par with split editor views on a single screen, because that is the true solution when working with multiple monitors - and I would think somewhat common in this day and age. It’s certainly a convenient approach. Or maybe I’m thinking like a corporate where everyone now has an external monitor. I know many don’t realise that it’s not there to replicate a smaller laptop display only. :slightly_smiling_face:

Did any of the workarounds help?

Yes. Your second option is my preferred choice. It works just fine. Thanks. Good suggestion.

For my setup, both options works as long as I leave Find on my primary monitor. Find searches with the Editor or QR, depending on which has focus.
Problem solved.

1 Like

What if you put the character sketches in another project and open it on the second monitor? Wouldn’t that be simpler?

The work-around of keeping the Find dialogue on the primary monitor at all times as suggested by JimRac works perfectly for the situation. Quick Reference runs as normal on my secondary monitor, and to do a find within QR all I need do is give it focus.
The only thing giving me a hassle was Find stretching over both monitors when I moved it to the secondary monitor.

I don’t love the Find dialog at all. When it’s open on a monitor, it appears on ALL virtual desktops on the monitor, and if I’m on another desktop (not the one where Scrivener is), switching back to Scrivener (clicking in the dock or ⌘tab) doesn’t take me to the correct desktop.

I think I wasn’t clear in my previous reply. The solution is to initiate Find on the primary monitor, switch focus to the secondary monitor by clicking in its content and then typing the search criteria in Find - still on the primary monitor. As long as I stick to the Find dialog it doesn’t switch focus back to the primary monitor.

You were clear. My gripe is unrelated to your problem.