Printing document notes

Is there a way to compile and print just document notes? Couldn’t find this info in the manual.

You may also wish to use the “Title” checkboxes so you know where the notes came from.

Thanks, Amber. I was looking in content, where I kinda thought it would be.

So, 3 more questions:

1. Even though I have Titles unchecked, chapter headings are being included in the compile.
  2. I’m just testing things, so I have Chapter 1, Chapter 2, then Chapter 5, then Chapter 8 in my binder. But the compile is showing Chapters 1, 2, 3 4, 5 and 6. Huh?
  3. When I compile to a Word document, it works. When I try to compile to a PDF, the programs says it has compiled but no file is saved. What might cause that? (BTW, I’m doing this on the 1.7.0.5 Beta).

TIA

Contents is where you tell the compiler what items it should be using, in a broad fashion. They may not all do something visible based on other compile settings, but whether or not they are even considered is up to Contents. Formatting on the other hand is how you tell each individual item, based on its icon type (and optionally its indent level) what it should do when one is encountered in the compile list. So this is where we can make structural decisions on how the output will appear. Will folders print a large 24pt title and nothing else? Will text files include a smaller title or just be merged seamlessly together? Etc.

So on the matter of titles, there are two places a title can come from. The Title checkbox itself tells the compiler to print the binder name of that item, naturally. However you can also have the title print other things along with that, or even entirely instead of the binder title. That’s useful if you don’t want to publish the names of chapter folders, to pick on example, but rather just wish to have a generic numbered output, like “Chapter 21”. This are controlled in the title prefix and suffix fields. You have to click the row that is still printing a title, click the Section Layout button to set up prefix and suffix (this is how the beta will look). When you get in there, you’ll see something like “Chapter <$n>”. That is where the numbering is coming from. Scrivener handles numbers for you if you want so you don’t have to bother with keeping everything straight as you arrange things.

Now for stuff like what you’re doing, I would recommend just picking the “Original” preset from the “Format As” menu at the top. This will nuke all of the little specific settings like generic chapter titles and just give you a raw output. Set your Notes checkboxes and you should be pretty much good to go. You may want to disable page breaks in the Separators pane too.

You should report the PDF problem in the beta forum.

Yes, that is what I would expect. Which is why it makes sense, to me anyway, for this to be the section where one indicates what is to be printed - such as document notes.

Yes, this makes sense.

Okay, I’ll noodle around some more. Obviously I have a great deal to learn about the compiling process.

Will do. Thanks again.

I think in practice it would be a little clumsy if Contents and Formatting were merged. Consider it this way: the thing you want to change the style on may not be easy to spot. Perhaps there are only a few of them in the draft, and you have to scroll around through the entire contents list looking for an example of it so that you can style it. With this system, you only have to know what it is to work with it, and all of the rest like it, at once. Want to make all text files look a certain way? Just click on that example of it and style it. No need to go hunting for one.

I wasn’t suggesting combining the formatting and contents section. But it does make more sense to me to have the options to include or not include all the options in the formatting section appear in the contents section as well. It would make it a two step process: the first to choose what to include, the second to choose how to format the selected items.

Just a thought.