Printing only new or revised documents

Okay, I know this might be too much to ask, but here goes. I am working on a novel and because Scrivener is so awesome that it lets me be able to easily write different parts of the novel, add new notes to old ones, but at times not changing others, etc… I would like to periodically print out my work weekly to have a hard copy back-up, is there a way that I can print out the “new changes” without having to print out everything over and over? Thanks.

Generally speaking, you can only print out documents in their entirety*. But if you accept that, what you want to do is quite simple to accomplish.

What I’d do is tag each new or amended document with a keyword (e.g. “Week1” or “Latest” or something like that), either through the Inspector or the Outliner. Then at the end of each week I’d perform a search on your keyword (selecting “Keywords” as the search parameter). The results of your search will appear as a list of documents in the Binder, and as a continuous text in the Editor. Then go to File > Print Current Document, and Robert will be your uncle.

*But if you want really fine granularity, one of the advantages of Scrivener is that you can make very short passages into separate documents – perhaps no more than a paragraph each.

Perfect! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!! :smiley:

Another way to do this that requires less up-front activity on your part is to take advantage of the Modified column in Outliner, and the ability to sort by it. Perform a project search for “e” or " " (anything that is bound to be in every single file), and then click on the Search Result title at the top of the binder sidebar, and view it as an outline. Add the Modified column if necessary, sort by it, select the recently changed documents, and then compile using “Current Selection” as the compile filter. You’ll need to turn the filtering option on at the bottom of the Contents pane. The advantage of using a filter instead of selecting Current Selection as your compile group (at the top) is that a filter does not modify the arrangement of the outline. The Current Selection compile group will produce a flat list in the order they appear (which is currently sorted by Modified).

Save this search as a dynamic collection, and half of the work is done for you automatically.

This way works even better! But I think, I may even have an improvement? If I just select everything in my binder (select the first title and then shift selecting my last title) and then go into Outliner and use Amber’s method, I will be sure to get all of my documents without having to use a project search for a " " or “e” and worry that I missing a document.

Will this method work or am I missing something?

Depends on how your binder is organised. When you use a search result, you guarantee that it will be a flat list result, which is what you want when sorting by columns for this type of thing. If you sort by column in a standard indented outline things remain grouped, so recently modified stuff gets mixed in with old stuff if they are both in the same container.

If you’ve got your whole draft in one flat list though, then absolutely. No need to waste time with a search to get another flat list out of it. :slight_smile:

I was thinking that, but provided you select the actual documents rather than just the Draft folder, it becomes a “multiple selection” and so the hierarchical manuscript appears as a flat list in the outliner.

So this will work, just make sure that you’ve expanded all your folders and document groups before you select them in the binder (otherwise the subdocuments won’t be included in the outliner). You can use Cmd-9 to expand everything in the binder or hold the Option key while clicking the disclosure arrow next to the Draft folder to expand everything in the Draft folder.

Good point, and actually Cmd-9 followed by Cmd-A in the binder would do the same thing, since non-Draft items will automatically be filtered out of the compile contents page to start with, so it doesn’t matter if you select too much initially from the Outliner.

The way I have everything set-up at the moment is to have all of my documents, inside and outside my Draft, checked for “include in compile”. After I open all of the folders in the Binder and select all of them, when I go to the Outliner and sort and select the modified items, I will get everything that has been recently modified. I highlight just those items and go to compile and on the contents menu, I make sure I change “draft” to “current selection”. Then, I could just compile and print. - Easy…right?

Now to top off the cake, how do I add the date to my pages when I want them printed out?

Oh and by the way, I cannot get over the overwhelming support from you guys. Fantastic! I recommend Scrivener to everybody I know. Kudos!

Instead of changing “Draft” to “Current Selection” at the top of the contents menu, leave it alone and instead go to the bottom of the pane, under the list of documents, and check the box that says “Filter.” Then set the first two drop-down menus there to “Include” and “Current Selection” (the third box will then disappear). This will maintain the proper heirarchy and binder order, so your documents won’t print in order of most recently modified (as sorted in the outliner): all the documents modified in your selected date range will be printed, but they’ll still have the organization of the binder. Still easy, but a little nicer.

Best way is probably just to insert it into the header or footer. In the compile pane, click on Page Settings and then you can insert a date tag in one of the header/footer boxes. You can check Help>Placeholder Tags List… for your full range of options, but something like <$shortdate> (25/3/11) or <$mediumdate> (25 March 2011) should probably be sufficient. If you want though you can make it longer or add the time, etc. It’ll use the format defined in your System Preferences (so my examples may not match yours exactly).