Printing or exporting a synopsis

Hi. I want to be able to print off the synopsis of a large project, or extract it – either to a Scrivener file or an editor like Word. I can see each card synopsis lined up on the cork board, or in an outline, but I need it in my hands. I can’t for the life of me work out how to do it! Any help?

Neil

Do you need to print out every single synopsis in the project, or just a few from a corkboard that you are looking at? If the former, you’ll want to use compile configured in such a way that only the synopses (and maybe titles) are being included in the compiled document (see Formatting pane). You might start with the Enumerated Outline compile preset and work off of that, as it will nicely indent based on outline depth. If the latter, just click into the corkboard you want to print and hit Cmd-P. You can set up how that looks in Page Settings under the File menu.

Thanks, that’s really helpful - just what I needed. :smiley:

Neil

I feel really stupid, but when I click on the Compile button (this occurs both in the Windows beta and the Mac NaNo trial), all I get is a very small window.

At the top, it says “Compile”
Under that, it says “Export or print your draft for submission or final formatting in a dedicated word processor.”

Under that are two drop-down boxes: “Format As:” and “Compile For:”

At the bottom, there are the options to Cancel or Compile.

If I pick “Compile” it goes straight to asking me where I want it to go. And if I choose Export then, it, well, exports it.

I don’t have any panes or tabs at all. There doesn’t seem to be any way for me to select anything other than format and “compile” for from this screen. I tried, on the Mac version, doing Opt+Cmnd+E, but the same box popped up. I don’t get that big fancy box with checks and tabs for Content, Text Options, and Formatting that it shows when I looked it up under “Help.”

I really want to print my synopses – all of them – because I want to be able to see the outline on paper, so I know where to go next. I think differently on paper than on the screen. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, since that screen has to exist somewhere . . . but I don’t know how to access it.

Thanks in advance!

(a) In Windows, click the button with an ellipses in it; on the Mac click the button with a little down arrow in it; (b) bask in the glory of options.

Like RavensCorble I’d like to include synopses when printing compilation. But I don’t have any button with a down arrow – or at least I cannot find one. Any hints? Thanks.

It’s the black-on-blue arrow-head, or triangle, in the pane that opens when you press “Compile” in Scrivener’s toolbar. It sits to the right of a drop-down window which has “Original” at the top of it, and it (the arrow-head) releases a drop-down pane with many more options in it.

I recommend that that for this and finding out the additional steps that enable you to compile the synopses, you take a look at Part 3 of the Interactive Tutorial (in the Help menu), Step 16.

Amber - Thanks! That was very helpful!

OK. I’m really feeling dense. Still cannot find any mention of synopsis in any compile options box.

When I select the file>compile menu I get a dialog box with many many compilation options. Selecting Format As: Original presents compilation options including Contents, Formatting Processing Options etc. Selecting Format As: Custom presents additional compilation options. But, searching through all of the choices has yet to reveal anything that remotely resembles an option to include synopsis as part of compilation.

My guess is I’m in the right room, but looking at the floor when I should be looking at the ceiling, or under the table cloth, or wherever. Sorry, but could use another hint, please. Thanks.

The pane you are looking for is called “Formatting”, and you should be able to figure out how to enable synopsis for all binder item types. To enable an element for all types, just option click any of the checkboxes in the appropriate column.

This is a pretty in-depth pane, so if you want to do anything fancy with it, I recommend reading §25.3.2, starting on page 197 of the documentation.

:bulb: Voilla. Thanks.