Printing Two Across?

So I went to print out my manuscript today, and I wanted to print two-across, in landscape, the way the screen displays in Page View. But although I scratched another bald spot in my head, and wore out my mousing finger in the Compile section of the PDF manual, I was unable to discover a way to do this–though I got a lovely proximation of a paperback book in print preview, expanded to the full 8-1/2x11 page–all 519 of them. My math skills calculate a halving of the paper needed if I can print a spread of type per paper page, instead of merely a page of type per paper page.

If that makes sense.

Anyone know how to do this? Or if it can be done?

I think you need to set that up in the printer config not in compile. not at my mac to give the exact working, but I think you need the “layout” section of the printer dialog.

Jaysen may not be at his Mac, but he is spot on. The layout section of the print dialog is what you need.

TIP: you can save it as preset (I cleverly called “2 per sheet”, but you might want to be a little more creative) so that you can set it more readily in the future.

I completely forgot to get back to this. Thanks nom.

FYI, “N up” is the format most used in the industry. 3 per is 2-up, 3 per is 3-up, etc. I kind of have an “in” when it comes to “in the industry” but wock’s background might call it something else.

Thanks. I piddled around in PDF print preview and printed a couple of two-across for a trial. But it still needs tinkering, because the pages are simple shrunk-down versions of the originals, with the bottom quarter of the page blank. Useful for notes, I suppose, but still a waste of paper, and the type, at 12-points, is for younger eyes than mine.

I need to mess around with it some more, I guess, with fonts and margins.

The way Scrivener Page View displays two across on my screen is perfect; if I could just scale that to 8-1/2 by 11 paper.

Hmm… so “page layout” format problem.

Well, idea would be to print to a 4x5 page size then format that on a 8.5x11. Short of text box layout in pages or word i’m not sure how that would work.

Need to think about it.

I ran out of time for thinking, alas, and printed all 519 pages in standard manuscript format. It’ll be easier to pencil-edit (having tried a few other forms, including Paperback Novel with parts, which is pretty, but doesn’t have much space for writing between the lines), and if this burns more paper than I’d like, so be it. Every five or six years I cut a couple trailer loads of pulp for the paper mill off the back 40, making it more or less a closed loop.

Thanks for your collective head-scratching.

I don’t have a lot of experience with this, but I know how to get columns on the output of compiling.

Assuming you have selected an appropriate output type, there should be a “Print Settings” section. You can’t get it from a RTF or .doc/.docx, but it appears PDF and Print output types reveal it.

In the Print Settings, choose the Proofing layout type, then go to the Layout section. You’ll have the option to get your output into columnar form. I assume the reason that you can’t get this into a word processing format has to do with the RTF engine that Scrivener uses, which also explains why you lose some options when using the “Proofing” layout to get the columns. In essence, I think it’s advisable to work with columns in a program designed for heavier layout formatting (most word processors, InDesign, etc…).

But what do I know? I don’t really care about making my manuscripts look pretty, so I haven’t worked with this aspect of Compile, nor have I read up on aspects of the Proofing option. Good luck!

AH! and with that you can set the page format to landscape to get a 2-up feel.

I would say “that’s genius” but I don’t want you to look like me. :wink:

Ah-ha (flinches as light bulb pops over his bald spot). If I have to do a second stage of editing on this manuscript, I’ll try that. When I edit other writers’ book-length works I typically can do it in two passes–one line-edit on-screen, one copy-edit on paper. But since this is my own stuff and the infelicities will be less visible because, of course, I made them, I suspect I’ll have to do three full passes, the last on a clean copy. A two-across would give it a new look, and thus (in theory) reveal yet more Things To Be Cut.

It isn’t a question of it being pretty, so much as making it easy to read, and to annotate.

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

What it should do is print 2 standard pages side by side, rotating the physical page to fit. i.e. if you have the pages set to print in portrait orientation, then 2 portrait pages will print side by side on a landscape paper* (if, for some reason, you have your pages set to print in landscape format, then they will print one above the other on a portrait piece of paper*). Although there shouldn’t be extra space at the bottom (unless that’s a difference between A4 and 8.5x11), they will be shrunk down versions of the original - I thought this is what you wanted. If the text size is the same, then you’re not saving any paper are you?

Anyway, it sounds like using columns may give you what you want.

*Note: I know that a physical piece of paper is only portrait or landscape depending on how it is held/viewed, I used the terminology for clarity in distinguishing from the orientation of the printed page.