Problem accessing backups

My daughter recently bought scrivener and has found it great. However, she’s backed-up her project to dropbox and had problems with accessing the document. She then backed it up to documents folder and got a message saying it couldn’t be opened because it contained XML files. What programme does she need to use to access the backups?

There are a few things that could be the problem here. Firstly, do you know what technique she used to create the backup? For example one can use the File/Back Up/Back Up To... menu command to create a backup of a project. In that command’s dialogue box is an option to zip compress the backup, which will make it more efficient for storage over the Internet (like Dropbox). However that will also make it so Scrivener cannot open the backup directly—it needs to be unzipped first. Just double-click on it in Windows Explorer, drag the Scrivener folder out somewhere convenient, and then open the folder and double-click on the “project.scrivx” file in that folder. Does that all sound about right?

I think she just went to file/backup/backup to… and pressed dropbox (or in the case of her other backup, documents).

Hmm, it’s hard to say without knowing precisely what is being done. The method used to create a backup is more important than the location of the backup at this point. I would also relay my advice to make sure these aren’t zip files that need to be extracted. Scrivener can’t just open those directly.