Problem Creating New Document

When I click on the plus sign in the bottom left corner to “Create New Document” it doesn’t open a blank document. It opens an existing document, apparently at random. If I clear it out and rename it, I lose the document that it copied. This happens all the time. I searched the forums and can’t find a reference to this issue. Hopefully I’m just doing something wrong. I have a very large project in the binder. Is there a “clean” way to create a new document in binder?

Cmd-N?

:smiley:

Mr X

Also, the Return key.

:slight_smile:

gr

Command-N does the same thing. It opens a document that is copied from an existing document. My project is 40 meg. Is that too big?

Your project size is just fine, you can fit gigs into these things if you need to. Is this project in a location that is being managed by a third-party utility like Dropbox? It sounds like the Binder is confused about what is actually stored on the disk.

I was using Dropbox. I switched the save location to my documents folder and the problem stopped. Thanks for the suggestion. But now I can’t share it between my laptop and iMac. Can I save it on iCloud or something else, or will the same problem crop up? Thanks again for your help.

What I do is keep a zipped backup in Dropbox, zipped-up at the end of each writing session using the controls in Scrivener > Preferences > Backup (but remembering to leave enough time for the backup to be sent before closing Scrivener on each occasion). I then copy that to the hard disk of my laptop and restore it; I’ve never had a problem. (iCloud, by the way, has a reputation for corrupting unzipped Scrivener projects.)

@sageimac

I share projects between this MBA, my MBP, the family iMac and my collaborator’s Windows laptop using Cubby and have no problems with projects of over 4MB. I used to keep working projects on Dropbox, but since my collaborator is in China, where Dropbox is blocked by the GFWoC, I have moved the active ones into Cubbies, but still keep the back-ups on Dropbox.

Ioa will correct me, I’m sure, but I just wonder if you ended up somehow with a conflicted file somewhere in your Dropbox version, which got sorted out when you moved it out of the Dropbox folder. What I would do — other than exploring Cubby … PM me an email address and I’ll send you an invitation, which, if taken up, will earn each of us an extra 1GB of space on the server, so 6GB for you to start with — is duplicate the working version now outside Dropbox and drag the duplicate back into the appropriate place in your Dropbox hierarchy, then try opening that to see what happens. What do you think?

I believe iCloud is not a solution as it cannot handle active Scrivener projects … and there are rumours about Apple trying to buy Dropbox as it has many advantages over their home-brewed version.

HTH :slight_smile:

Mr X

There are ways to use Dropbox and similar services safely. Pulling it off of the server for now is a good reaction, but if you wish to go back to the convenience of sharing a central working area for all of your machines, you can do so. We have tips for working safely in this knowledge base article. I do personally use the method described above (and elaborated on in that article), of only using sync to move zipped copies of the project between computers, rather than having one central project that they all share—but that is up to taste in balancing risk and convenience. My personality definitely leans more toward risk avoidance than convenience. :slight_smile:

That article also goes into repair—you might want to check out the repair section to make sure everything you’ve written is where you expect it to be, given that you were suffering some symptoms of sync collisions.

As for what happened, I’m not sure, it sounds like things on the disk were changed while the project was open and it lost internal coherency, but what precisely happened is a bit academic—there is no way software in general can guard against external manipulation of its files in all ways. The main thing is to ensure the project is repaired if need be and that going forward good practices are used to keep it safely up to date between machines