Problem dragging/linking an item from binder to Inspector note

Sometimes when I drag an item from the binder to insert it as a link in the Inspector note, I get the item’s entire contents and not just the link. How can I prevent this? I suspect because the drag from the binder to the note pane is so long, I may be inadvertently letting up pressure or something to cause this.

Any help appreciated.

The only point of difference should be whether the Option key was held down when dragging. With the key held down a link will be inserted, otherwise the full text is dropped in. I don’t think anything with pressure would be involved, even with a Force Click trackpad it should be the same whether you click hard enough to force click or not.

Yes, I suspect that is the problem. Since it’s a long drag on the track pad (and too far to do in one movement, I suspect I let up on the trackpad and that’s why I get it.) Wish there were another way.

Oh yes, there are other ways! This is a very cross-link friendly program in my opinion. One of my favourite tools for making links isn’t the binder, but rather a tool mainly used for other things, but it is useful for links for two properties:

1. It is a separate window and can thus be placed over the area where you typically drag links (and this position will be remembered between uses).
  2. It’s a search tool, meaning you don’t have to drill down into folders to make links, all you need is enough of the title to go by, or even the synopsis as well, as that is the original point of the feature.

The command is Edit/Find/Find Synopsis…, or simply Ctrl-Cmd-G. You can also add it to the toolbar if you prefer. That the card is displayed for the active search result can help you distinguish between documents of similar names, if you take the time to describe them. I sometimes do just for the sake of this tool.

There are other approaches as well: Cmd-L or Edit/Scrivener Link/New Link… is a handy tool in some cases, particularly if you’re thinking ahead and want to make a new file and link it all at once (kind of more like wiki). You can also browse existing items with that tool, but I find the above search tool more convenient for existing items than a column browser behind a secondary tab.

One last technique I use a lot: there is an optional feature in the Corrections preference tab toward the bottom, Automatically detect [[Scrivener Links]], which again is a bit more wiki-like. You just type the name of the item you want to link to in brackets like that and Scrivener will do the rest. Two tips with that one:

• As with Cmd-L the item need not exist yet. You can make new files with this shortcut.
  • The Ctrl-Esc or Edit/Complete Document Title command is exceptionally handy in combination with a tool where you have to type out the name of the thing you want to link to, naturally.

All told, drag and drop all the way from the finder to the inspector is one of the last methods I use, the ultimate fallback. It’s always there if you need it, but most of the time one of the above will be better. And this will all be improving in the next big update too. For one, the default drag and drop behaviour will be to make a link instead of the other way around with the Option key.

Thanks, Amber, I played around with your suggestions, still a little confused. BUT, in the process, I discovered a new, easy way to insert links in the item’s Inspector note:

I simply place my cursor in the Inspector’s document note, right click, and choose SCRIVENER LINK and choose one of the three folders, DRAFT, RESEARCH, or TRASH, and choose the document’s name. It then enters the hyperlink in the note.

When I choose the link in the note, it automatically opens it in the other editor.

PERFECT. Of course, it requires I know which title I want to link to, and it doesn’t give me access to the item’s synopsis, but it’s adequate for my purposes.

What a marvelous program Scrivener is, and I constantly find new capabilities.