Problem Importing Scrivener Templates

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if one of you can kindly help/assist me with a problem.

I am using Scrivener 3 for windows. It is up to date.

Yet, I cannot seem to import templates. For e.g. I have a worldbuilding template from a reputable source, and when I look in documents (on my computer) I can see the yellow folders and the the scrivx. project document.

But, when I try to import it, Scrivener can only ‘see’ the yellow folders but not the scrivx. project doc and it gives a message saying ‘Error Loading Templates’. when trying to upload.

It is not just this one template. I can’t import a template someone gave a link to on this forum either. This seems to be a new problem.

Can anyone please assist or give any insight.

Many thanks.

What specifically are you trying to import, and to where?

Are you sure that it’s a project template, and not just an ordinary project?

Hi Kewms,

Thanks for responding.

I was trying to import a world building template that came as part of a world building course. I had tried to import it via the option import template (on the new project - main home page), but it will not work.

It is not the only template that will not import. Recently, none will do so. A template from KM Weiland will not import for example.

I have now managed to open both by simply clicking on the template via the word folder and opening it as though you would a work document and saving it in a folder on my computer that way, but I cannot get any of them to import so that they are in the list of templates that Scrivener already has.

I hope the above makes sense.

To know what to do, I would need to know what you’re starting with.

If what you have is a Scrivener project, you can use the File → Save As Template command to turn it into a template. (The two are similar, but not identical.)

If what you have is a document, you can import it into a Scrivener project, and then create a document (not project) template out of it. That’s a slightly more complex process, since you need to create a template folder. See Section 7.5 in the manual for full details.

If neither of those suggestions helps, can you provide a link to the original source? Or ask them for further guidance?

But, when I try to import it, Scrivener can only ‘see’ the yellow folders but not the scrivx. project doc and it gives a message saying ‘Error Loading Templates’. when trying to upload.

You’re definitely describing what a live project looks like, on the disk, rather than a template. The latter will be one single file, and will have the “.scrivtemplate” file extension. But this is fine! A template merely creates a live project, so by having one already, you’re one step ahead.

To load it, double-click on the .scrivx file itself in your file manager, or use the File ▸ Open... menu command instead, and navigate to this same place, the way you were with the Import Template file dialogue.

As noted above, once you have it open you can make it into a template if you want, if you anticipate wanting to start from this pristine point several times, it’s not a bad idea to make it a template.

Thank you, AmberV,

I have now saved them as templates to the project template files. Not sure why it didn’t work before, as I definitely attempted to upload the “.scrivtemplate” file extension, but from the upload template page it would not show the file so I couldn’t choose it. It was like it was invisible, yet visible on my computer. Very strange.

I will use this workaround in future.

Thanks again.