Problem with attaching a jpg when compiling

I really hope someone can help me out here. I’ve been trying to nut through this problem for a week now but I’ve run out of ideas.

I have three novels set up in Scrivener under the one project (they’re all part of a trilogy.)

For each novel I have two versions: a mobi for Kindle and an epub for Smashwords. But no matter what I do or don’t do, click or don’t click, include or don’t include, every time I compile one of these versions and import it into either Caliber or Kindle Previewer or send it to my Kindle Paperwhite, it inserts the cover for the 2nd novel at the top of each file.

I can’t even see where it’s pulling this image from. The image was sitting under the “Research” but I deleted it, thinking that was the problem. But it’s still doing it.

HEEEEEEELP!!!

Thanks much,
Martin

The cover is chosen in the Compile window in the section labeled Cover. Even if you send it to the Trash folder in your project, it will retain that setting. So, to change the cover, just select another image file from the images you have in the binder.

Ah! Thanks for that. I assumed trashing the image would do the trick. Much appreciated!

UGH!
Now Kindle Previewer won’t open the mobi file at all.
It’s telling me

Open Error
Error opening book.Mobibook.contructor:
argument cannot be null!

Calibre won’t let me open it either. The error message I get is:

calibre, version 1.19.0
ERROR: Could not open ebook: ‘NoneType’ object is not iterable
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/main.py”, line 40, in run
File “lib/python2.7/threading.py”, line 761, in run
File “site-packages/calibre/ebooks/oeb/iterator/book.py”, line 125, in enter
TypeError: ‘NoneType’ object is not iterable

I would switch on logging in the KindleGen compile option pane. This should print a log file when you compile the Mobi. If there are any errors or warnings in that file let me know. It almost kind of sounds like the conversion failed completely though—I’d check the size of the .mobi and make sure it’s about like it was when you compiled before (it will always be bigger than the ePub because KindleGen produces two books in the same file, one for older Kindles and another in the newer format).

Another thing to try is the source option in that same compile pane. If you use that you’ll get a folder with a bunch of code files. These are all necessary to construct the Mobi file. Try opening the “content.opf” file in Kindle Previewer to construct the book and see if it fails.