Problem with CTRL + C

Hi, I’m new to Scrivener, but after a couple of weeks using it, I’ve suddenly found a problem. I don’t know why, but now, if I try to copy text (either CTRL + C or using the dropdown menu in Edit), the program closes. It wasn’t doing this before, but since I installed the upgrade that just came out, it’s doing this. Any ideas?

What version of Windows are you running? Have you updated any other software recently? Another user just reported this in the bug forum, but we’ve got very little to work with. Is there a specific set of steps that triggers this–e.g. if you need to first click here, and then open there, and then select the text and copy–or if does it only occur when copying text from certain parts of the Scrivener window (e.g. only in the editor, never in the document notes or synopsis)? If you restart your computer in Safe Mode (hold the F8 key during the boot sequence), are you able to copy text in Scrivener without the program closing?

I’m using Windows 7. I did the restart in Safe Mode as you suggested, and that seems to have fixed it! I had been working only in the editor, and basically, i’d select text, hit CTRL + C, and the window would just close. (It did the same thing with CTRL + X.) The only thing I did before was install the Scrivener update. But it seems to be fixed now.

Just a follow-up: It happened again, this time when I used CTRL + V, and wouldn’t yet me use any editing functions (program would close when I did). I restarted and it cleared up.

Thanks for the extra details. Are you saying that having run Scrivener in Safe Boot, you’re now no longer experiencing the problem when running normally? Or does the problem reoccur if you’re not using Safe Mode?

Whether or not you’re still experiencing problems, could you check to see if any crash files were created by Scrivener? That would help us track down whatever is triggering the problem. Please navigate into the Scrivener installation directory, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener, and find the “minidump” folder there, then check if it contains any files from the time Scrivener crashed. If so, please select the file or files, right-click and choose “Send to \ Compressed (zipped) folder”, and then attach them to your post here or sent them to windows.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com with a reference to this thread. Thanks!

(Other quick question – are you on a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Win 7?)

EDIT: Another question–what sort of mouse and keyboard are you using? Another user with this issue working on a laptop seems to have linked it to having the external mouse and/or keyboard plugged in, in that case a Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard, Logitech M305 mouse. Do you have up-to-date drivers for your mouse/keyboard?

The problem with Control + C started yesterday but I paid it little attention. Today though it happened with my repeated efforts, and I needed it to work, showing it was no coincidence. Visiting this forum made me feel that it was not just my computer, although I am not sure I can do all those things you suggested to another person. I have just uninstalled scrivener and replaced it with an earlier version which is not giving that problem so far, hence I will work wih that for right now. I thought I would report it, and this Ctrl +C thing happened with the latest version of Scrivener. Thank you. Presently using 1.2.5

Thanks for reporting in, eltron34. Are you also on Windows 7 (x64)?

Are either of you running any sort of software that would intercept keyboard input, e.g. antikeyloggers, text expanders, global hotkey services? The first might be installed as part of a security software or antivirus package. Another user who’s been troubleshooting this problem found that Zemana antilogger seems to have been the culprit, and it wouldn’t be the first time software like that has caused something to go haywire.

Sorry I took so long to return, and to your question, I do have zemana anti-logger; never thought that could pose a problem, since I have been copying and pasting and have not experienced no difficulties until the new scrivener. At this point then I will continue using the older version of Scrivener until I there is some certain statement on the matter.

Scrivener being blocked by antikeylogger software is definitely the problem. For most users the culprit is Constant Guard from XFINITY, but there was one other case where Zemana was involved as well. It should be possible to simply remove Scrivener from that software’s block list, and everything will work normally again.

I’ve been struggling with these CTRL + ___ issues since the new update as well. I am running Windows 7 and the latest release of Scrivener 1.5.3.0 from Feb 6, 2013.

I use Comcast as my ISP in the USA, and they recently launched this “constant guard” product that has taken over security on my system. While I work to get this awful service disabled, I have discovered it flagged Scrivener as an unsafe program and added it to the blocked list without notifying me. :open_mouth:

Once I removed it from the blocked list and added it to the whitelist, the CTRL + ___ crashing issues seem to have stopped and those key combos have returned to their normal functions.

Not sure how many others this might be impacting… but thought I’d share what I found in the event it helps.

Love using Scrivener. :slight_smile:

You say that zemana intercepts keyboard input, but then a question which occurs is why would it not stop copying and pasting for the previous version; copying and pasting is done in web pages, adobe, keepass, so why would it single out the last version of scrivener, which zemana says scrivener was doing, keylogging. This is just for understanding, my own please. Thanks