Problem with F-keys as shortcuts

I am using some of the F-keys as shortcuts for font faces: for instance, F3 for “Italic”, and F4 for “Bold”.

These shortcuts figure of course under System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts: (Scrivener) Bold – F4, Italic – F3.

But in the pull down menu, these shortcuts show up only intermittently: sometimes they do, often they don’t. And the shortcuts themselves sometimes work, but mostly don’t. Scrivener 3.1.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (but the issue dates back to the days of Scrivener 2).

In Nisus, the same shortcuts have always worked flawlessly. Could this be a bug in Scrivener, or am I overlooking something?

I had a similar problem, but solved it by using full menu item paths in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts. Example:

Format->Revision Mode->Mark Revised

Note that the submenu items must be started by a hyphen and angle bracket with no spaces, and that all menu items must be spelled and capitalized correctly.

I don’t know why this worked, given that it’s supposed to work with just a unique submenu item, but it did and I haven’t had a problem with it since.

Hope this helps!

Yes, your solution seems to work. Thanks a lot!

You’re welcome!