Problem with file, backup

My main Scrivener novel file is on my .mac (Mobile Me) disk. I have backups on .mac and on my hard drive. When I copied the file to my hard drive and opened it, all of the folders from Chapter 67 to 100 were empty – the subchapter folders are there but nothing is in them. I’ve tried dragging the file to several different places with the same result. What do you suggest? I’m nervous to have the only working version on my .mac disk.

I would suggest not keeping your working copy on your .mac disk. Keep it on the hard drive and only back up to network drives - network drives are inherently more dangerous than local drives, especially for package formats such as that of Scrivener.
All the best,
Keith

I agree. My problem is that I can’t seem to get a clean file saved or copied onto my hard drive. When I drag it over, half the chapters are empty! Suggestions?

If you have already been saving on a drive such as .mac, it may be that these files are lost. Scrivener projects are packages - that is, simple folders with a file extension. If underlying files have been lost somehow, then they will appear blank. The question is, do they appear okay when you open the project on your .mac drive? If so, it may just be a copying error when you are copying the file across, in which case you could try zipping it up first, then copying it and unzipping it.
All the best,
Keith

Oddly enough, the file opens fine on my Mac. But when I take a Quick Look at it on the .mac server, those chapters are empty. I’ve searched my Mac for the file (thinking it may be pulling it up from somewhere on my hard drive) but I don’t find it. I compiled a manuscript and saved it so I have the novel, but I’m about to make a lot of edits. I want to make sure I do them in a safe way. Can you suggest anything? Since I was able to make a Word document of the novel, should I create a new Scrivener file? That will take a bit of doing, since I have about 25 chapters and a total of 100 subchapters, plus all my research.

I just checked again and I found a clean version, in my Trash of all places! The one on the .mac server is definitely corrupted. I’ll make sure I work from this one and back up to my Hard Drive as well as .mac. Whew!