Problem with fullscreen mode (slow + "garbage")

Hello!

I’m currently writing a book and my first draft is over 150.000 words. I need to write more but I’m experiencing problems. I’d like to know if anyone has experienced the same issue I’m having with Scrivener for Windows fullscreen mode:

Scrivener takes a while (10 seconds or so) to present the draft in fullscreen mode. I wouldn’t mind but, also, navigation through the document tends to be slow, and quite frequently I encounter myself with garbage appearing on screen (I’m posting a pic). It also happens that a chapter won’t appear in fullscreen mode and then I have to exit and write in normal mode, which is not ideal for me.

I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong here. My project has 2 directories and some 70 chapters: is it possible that the book is too long for Scrivener to handle? This problem happens also on the other computer I use to write, so I don’t think it has something to do with my PC.

Any light will be appreciated. The program is great but sometimes kinda tricky for me.

Thanks!
César, from Perú.

Just tried it. Experienced some slowness, no garbaging.

Opening an entire draft, or major portion (perhaps an act), in scrivenings mode, tends to be slow, regardless of whether in regular view or fullscreen view. Scrivener is literally having to open every single document file in the Draft (aka Manuscript) folder. My 55K word draft, comprised of perhaps 125 documents files, takes a while, even on a 4Ghz 64 bit eight core processor with 16GB RAM and a 7200 RPM SCSI hard drive (guess I need to move to a solid state drive (SSD)). As I recall, there was some discussion that unlike the Mac version, the Windows version of Scrivener has to literally launch a new edit process (session?, task?) for each and every one of these documents within the scrivenings scope. This may be faster on the Mac (I don’t know) and presumably may be addressed in version 3.

My naive sense is that fullscreen is a bit slower, getting worse/slower as the scope of the material being viewed increases. Select a single long document in the binder (i.e. not in scrivenings mode), go into fullscreen, and responsiveness is good. Expand the scope, by selecting an binder item that contains few/small subordinate items (perhaps a chapter), assure are in scrivenings (concatenated multi-document view) mode, go into fullscreen, and responsiveness will be be less good. Maximize the scope, by selecting the Draft (aka Manuscript) folder that contains your entire draft, assure are in scrivenings mode, go into fullscreen and responsiveness will be sluggish.
So a preliminary fix or tweak would seem to be to limit the scope of what you are viewing/working on before going into fullscreen.

As far as the display/text garbaging, you might check your computer or video card manufacturer’s site to assure that you have the latest video drivers. I suppose that font and DPI (dots per inch) related settings might have a bearing on this. Works fine for me on a large 50 inch 4K tv/monitor at 3840x2160 resolution on an Nvideo Geforce 960 card under Windows 10 without having to do any font or DPI tweaks. That resolution on a small display (laptop/tablet) might prove problematic.

Hope that is of some assistance.

P.S. As far as possible font and DPI tweaks, see the following:

Part of the version 1.9.6 release notes…
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-1-9-6-for-windows-now-available/34483/1
“Scrivener allows Windows to scale its display on high resolution monitors, which may cause it to appear blurry. You can disable the display scaling by right-clicking the Scrivener.exe or its desktop shortcut, choosing Properties > Compatibility, and selecting “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings”.”

From a ways back…
Scaling on HiDPI Displays
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … i-displays

and even older (perhaps no longer relevant?)
Poor Font Rendering in Editor
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … -in-editor

I’ll try your suggestions and will let you know how it went.

Thank you for your reply!

Greetings from Perú.