problem with integration of scrivener mellel, and bookends

Hi

My workflow for writing my PhD dissertation is like this: Scrivener (v2.4.1) for text used together with Bookends (v12.0) for references [aka composition step] -> compiled as rtf -> imported into Mellel (v3.2.2b1) -> then I convert { } to citations -> verify citations -> scan to make a bibliography [aka final step]. It works smoothly most of the time…

I am not sure which of the softwares is creating the minor bug described below but I figured I would let you know about it. I searched your website but could not find any references to it. I will also report it to the Mellel guys.

I found some weird behaviors while testing this workflows. If I highlight or comment anywhere in the scrivener text in the composition step, all of the references before the highlighted area or comment are fine in Mellel’s final step, but all of the references situated after it are a bit messed up. If I remove these add-ons and the problem disappears; it is reproducible. The bibliography seems fine but the affected references in the text are not blue/purple (usually this means that they were not properly verified). If not clear, please see attached document.

Thanks
Mathieu
higlight_ref_problems.pdf (142 KB)

Hi,

When does the problem occur? When you export the RTF from Scrivener and open it in a word processor before scanning it with Bookends, does it have the problem? Could you please zip up and send us the project to look at, with instructions on how to reproduce the issue (bearing in mind that we aren’t Bookends experts)?

Thanks,
Keith

HI Keith

It only happens after the first bookends step in the word processor (change { } to citations).

I can send it to you as a zipped file, but I guess I would also need to send you a bookends file with the references.

Thanks
Mathieu

Hi Matthieu,

Yes, I’d need both, I’m afraid. I would suggest first contacting Bookends, though, seeing as the problem emerges only after Bookends has parsed the file, because that suggests that it is either something wrong that Bookends is doing or Bookends doesn’t like something in Scrivener’s RTF output, in which case Jon at Bookends should be able to tell me what that is.

Before doing that, though, what if you scan the citations outside of Mellel? That is, take Mellel out of the process altogether? If you still get the same result, that at least rules out Mellel.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Great suggestions. I will try in Word and see what happens.

Best,
Mathieu

Thanks - let me know what you find.
All the best,
Keith