Problems importing .docx files

I just went through the tutorial, and am now ready to import a novel I wrote in word docx. But everything in the import box is greyed out. It won’t let me import anything. What’s up?

Moderator note: Split this off as the other topic was about importing Scrivener project templates, not .docx files.

I’m not sure what the problem is as I don’t know what precise steps you are taking, but can you drag and drop the file into the project binder?

I did finally get it imported but I’m not sure how I did it. Now I’m trying to export to the Kindle Previewer but they want a Mobi, Epub, Html, or an Opf (not sure what that is) type of file. I thought that Scrivener’s claim to fame was that it would export in Mobi so I can upload to kindle. But I don’t see that as a choice in the export window.

Really? I thought Scrivener’s claim to fame was being an awesome piece of writing software that allowed for a very flexible writing environment encompassing a huge array of features. O:)

Regardless, as it says on the website, you also need to install kindlegen (amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i … 1000765211) before you can export to .mobi - it’s Amazon’s proprietary format and they don’t share. Once you do, point Scrivener at it and you’ll be able to export straight to .mobi.

Alternately, export to .epub and then open it in kindle previewer and it’ll auto-convert to .mobi for you.

If you are referring to File/Export/Files..., then yes the e-book options are not available there. That is because this feature is for exporting the contents of your project as individual files. Generally this would be used to create a static backup of your manuscript in a form that could be easily imported back into Scrivener at a later point, or to share bits of your manuscript with a colleague.

To create a finalised work (rather than dozens of files), the place you need to be is File/Compile.... You’ll find Kindle and ePub both present in the “Compile For” drop-down menu.

Something to be aware of is that the compile feature is really designed to work with the basic philosophy of the software, and it may produce undesirable results if you just drop a single long book-length document into the Draft and compile it. It is instead designed under the assumption that you have cut your original manuscript into chapters. That way the table of contents will more properly reflect the book. A simple way of doing this is to go through the manuscript and select the chapter name, then use Documents/Split/with Selection as Title, then proceed on to the next. We recommend not leaving the chapter number and name in text itself, as the compiler will generate these for you (including automatic numbering if you started with a template).

If you haven’t already done so, I really recommend going through the interactive tutorial (and maybe the Quick Tour in the user manual PDF, initially, will give you enough to go on for this project). Even if you’ve already completed the writing, understanding how one is expected to write will help you in getting a finished work into a state that the software can easily work with. It’s the sort of the thing that you would have naturally built up over time, but must take a bit of a crash-course on if your first work in Scrivener is to be just to import and then immediately compile.

And of course, if you have any questions we are always happy to help. There is also a wealth of information archived on the forum here.

On Update: Yes, you will also need to download and install KindleGen. The first time you try to compile to Mobi, you will be prompted with instructions on how to do so. KindleGen is required to produce the most accurate and modern e-book for submission. There are other tools for doing this, but they all pre-date Amazon’s acquisition of the format and could result in books being rejected for various reasons. So it is worth it to get KindleGen installed. As also noted, you can compile to ePub and then open in Kindle Previewer (it has a version of KindleGen built-in).