Problems opening compiled .fodt [Resolved]

Greetings,

I do much writing in markdown, and want to be able to convert to Word or .odt. I pasted a markdown formatted text document into scrivener, compiled to .fodt, then opened in libreoffice. I got a bunch of codes, such as (sorry for so much!):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<office:document xmlns:office=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:1.0”
xmlns:style=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:style:1.0”
xmlns:text=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:text:1.0”
xmlns:table=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:table:1.0”
xmlns:draw=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:drawing:1.0”
xmlns:fo=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:xsl-fo-compatible:1.0”
xmlns:xlink=“http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink
xmlns:dc=“http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/
xmlns:meta=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:meta:1.0”
xmlns:number=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:datastyle:1.0”
xmlns:svg=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:svg-compatible:1.0”
xmlns:chart=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:chart:1.0”
xmlns:dr3d=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:dr3d:1.0”
xmlns:math=“http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML
xmlns:form=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:form:1.0”
xmlns:script=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:script:1.0”
xmlns:config=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:config:1.0”
xmlns:ooo=“http://openoffice.org/2004/office
xmlns:ooow=“http://openoffice.org/2004/writer
xmlns:oooc=“http://openoffice.org/2004/calc
xmlns:dom=“http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events
xmlns:xforms=“http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms
xmlns:xsd=“http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema
xmlns:xsi=“http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance
xmlns:rpt=“http://openoffice.org/2005/report
xmlns:of=“urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:of:1.2”
xmlns:xhtml=“http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
xmlns:grddl=“http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#
xmlns:tableooo=“http://openoffice.org/2009/table
xmlns:field=“urn:openoffice:names:experimental:ooo-ms-interop:xmlns:field:1.0”
xmlns:formx=“urn:openoffice:names:experimental:ooxml-odf-interop:xmlns:form:1.0”
xmlns:css3t=“http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/
office:version=“1.2”

These codes are at the beginning of the document. My text is buried in other codes, such as:

<text:p text:style-name=“Standard”>This course is designed to introduce you to the legal skills of interviewing, counseling and negotiation. It is a 3-credit class, meeting for one hour on Monday and two hours on Wednesday. </text:p>

I use windows xp with the newest scrivener. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice?

Thanks, Jeff

What version of LibreOffice are you running? I think I recall there were issues with 3.5 and Windows when using Flat XML documents. Also, this advice from the MultiMarkdown support page might be of use:

Might be worth checking to see if you have the correct .jar file, and if not, acquire it and install it.

AmberV,

Thanks for your reply. It is version 3.6. it is on my work computer, so I won’t be able to check that machine until next week. I’ll try to see what happens on my home windows machine.

Right now I am on linux, using Libreoffice 3.3.4; when I opened the same compiled document, it was completely blank.

I’ll check the .jar file suggestion.

Best,

Jeff

All,

Of course the sin was my own! I think the problem was I simply copied and pasted a markdown document (with headings) into Scrivener that I had written in my text editor. When I compiled–problems.

I tried importing the same document into Scrivener, compiled, and Success!!

There were a few formatting glitches (I might discuss in another posting), but overall I am very happy. My markdown syllabus is now a Word document. A miracle.

Thanks, Jeff

Hmm, copy and paste should in theory work pretty much the same as importing, but I’m glad to hear it works now! As for the formatting issues, you might wish to bring those up over in the MultiMarkdown GitHub tracker. We just provide integration with the system and don’t have anything to do with the output. We just put together the MMD .txt file.