Problems out of the box with first attempted COMPILE

Hi…I’m trying to compile a rough draft of the script I’ve been working on so I can edit it and also print it for a reader. I’ve written it using the template for US Play, and I want it to compile and print out (and also to be able to export as a digital file) just as it appears to me in the binder. I don’t want to convert it into any fancy script format. I want it to be as is, with each document I’ve created on a separate page. I’d also like to be able to number these pages so my readers and I can refer to the manuscript by page number. I’ve removed everything I don’t want to compile from the binder, and I want it all to compile in the order its in with the formatting currently on the page.

So far, I’ve read a bunch of instructions–and nothing has helped. None of my pages are showing up in the contents of the compiler…just the pre-formatted title page that came with the script template. but my work is not appearing. I’ve tried not selecting it and selecting it all. It doesn’t make a difference. I can’t get to page numbering if I can’t even see my pages at all.

In my original settings in the compiler, I chose Rich Text for the Output Type and Original for the format. But I’m just not seeing anything. Can anyone help me get started?

If you go into the Contents compile option pane, do you see anything in the list? It might the content you’re meaning to compile is all located outside of the Draft folder, or perhaps in that Contents pane, you select a different option along the top, and whatever criteria you were using before is no longer valid (such as “Current Selection”).

The choice to use Original sounds best for what you want, although you may want to go into the Separators pane set all of them to page break, since you mentioned wanting each section to start on a new page. By default Original will only add a page break to new folders.

I think perhaps that worked…I was able to click the page break before for each document. How about adding page numbers? I couldn’t put them in the header or footer because they don’t exist in US Stage Format. Is there a way I can add them in now, as I compile?

Hi canfish, I had the same experience back when. I think in my case all the check boxes to include the documents were unchecked.

On the Compile Options, instead of Summary, click All Options and then Contents in the list on the left. Make sure everything you want to include is checked in the Include column.

thanks, both of you. should I include the folder names as well? or just the files within the folders? If I include the folder names, too, what will show up in the compilation?

I just tried the compile. It came out as a text edit file, basically what I asked for–each scene in a different page. But still no page numbers and no way I can see to add them now. Is there a way I can add them in back in Scrivener and try compile again?

It’s evening in California and I have to head out for a few hours. I’ll check back later! Thanks for your help.

You can always adjust all settings in Scrivener, no matter what project template you started with. The key thing to understand with templates is that they demonstrate a preset use of existing features toward a specific purpose, they do not add or remove features from the software. So yes, you can always go into the Page Settings compile pane and adjust the headers and footers—if that underlying format allows you to do so (some formats do not have headers and footers).

About including the folders - it depends! In my case, the folders are also the chapter titles. The folders have synopsis text that I don’t want in the manuscript. I include the folders but on Compile / All Options / Formatting, I select the folders, check title and uncheck everything else (synopsis, text etc). For the documents I check text and nothing else.

At the bottom of Compile / All Options, there’s a pulldown “Compile For.” I use epub which does not need or provide page numbers (pages are flexible depending on text point size in epub.) If you select PDF or Word, then there’s a Page Settings on the left which lets you define the page Header and Footer with <$p> indicating page number.

Thanks DJL. I was able to succeed using your method. Thanks all. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions later, but I have my first working draft printed out now!

Glad I could help. Note to the L&L team - compile does seem to be too difficult, but it’s hard to see how it could be simplified without losing something that somebody uses.
For example if we only had folders that could nest but not have text, and documents that contain text but can’t nest, things would be simpler. Instead, folders do have text and documents nest inside other documents, so the user has to look after how all those options get compiled.
There are too many ways for things not to make it into the compile. The options are buried in dialogs instead of being visible at a glance. But if they were visible, there would be a vast amount to see.

Compile is a very powerful function, and has lots of options because of that. All of the features are there because someone (probably more than one someone) wanted them.

The available compile presets can be very useful as a starting point, in most cases giving you something that will be “close enough” for a rough copy for your own use, and at least get you in the ballpark of a usable final format.

It’s also helpful to start to think about what structure you’ll ultimately want as the draft gets closer to being “done”. So, for instance, once you know what all of the chapters are you might think about making sure that they are structured consistently, or you might start merging documents together so that the smallest element is at least a full scene.

I recommend doing test compiles fairly early on, too. It’s much easier to figure the function out if you explore it casually over a period of months, rather than having a huge crunch at the end when you’re on a deadline to get the project out the door. The more complex your formatting requirements, the more helpful it is to start early.

Katherine