Problems saving onto a server

I get the error “There was a problem saving the project” when Scrivener tries to save onto our central server here at work (the program is on my mac, the document on the server). But it actually does save it, I just have to keep clicking OK every thirty seconds. A solution would be to stop it bringing up this warning, of course, or changing auto save to every 5 or 10 minutes, which would be much less bothersome.

[By the way, I know a man who used to be a Scrivener at a law firm. No quills apparently, it’s all templates on computers. But he did enjoy saying it, and when he said the word, his body bent over, and went all Bartelby on him].

There’s not much I can do about the error, I’m afraid. Something on the system is telling the OS X saving mechanism that there is an error happening at some point during the save…
Best,
Keith

What type of server is it, out of curiosity? When using a Windows based server, the Mac has to do some things to preserve some of the special features we have like bundled directories, and it could be that if the permissions are set up a certain way, or the server is configured with a save delay to prevent abuse, that it is messing up Scrivener’s expectations of how things should be done.

Of course, the easy work-around is to simply work locally and periodically use the “Save Backup…” feature to the server, with zip option turned on. Depending on when it zips, you might find it works better that way.

I know it’s a window’s server although all the machines are Macs. But I’ve decided to work locally and then save it to the server. It’s easier that way.

thanks everyone.

Glad you found a solution. :slight_smile:
Best,
Keith