Problems with Notes

My document isn’t compiling properly, and I’m trying to figure out how to get my notes where they belong. I’ve written an article that has endnotes and a works cited page. When I compile, the document is coming out with the actual endnotes after the works cited page, even though the “Notes” header comes before the “Works Cited” header. In other words, there’s the main text, then the header “Notes” but there are no notes beneath the header. Instead, after a couple of blanks lines, the “Works Cited” header appears, followed by the actual works cited. Only there, after the works cited, do the actual notes appear, separated from the “Notes” header.

I’ve also noticed that the “Notes” document in the binder is empty (although the notes do appear in the sidebar alongside the main text). I’m talking about the document with the text “Any footnotes you created in your paper will get inserted here upon Compile (this purple bubble will be removed automatically). If you don’t have any footnotes, you can deselect ‘Include in Compile’ for this document in the Inspector or Compile settings, or just delete it completely.”

For whatever reason, my notes have not been automatically inserted there. Maybe this is connected to the first problem?

Help much appreciated!

My guess is that you were experimenting with compile presets and lost the settings that were tuned to work with the template you started with (Chicago - Essay, I’m assuming?). The key setting is in the Footnotes & Comments compile option pane: Group footnotes: before last page break. And of course, this assumes that the Notes section falls directly before the last section that generates a page break.

I’m not following you with this description. If the “Notes” document has the purple bubble text explaining how it works, it isn’t empty, so what do you mean by it being empty?

When I go to Footnotes & Comments, I don’t see Group footnotes: before last page break as an option. There are a number of other options, but not that one. Hmm.

Yes, you’re correct about it being the Chicago - Essay template.

Regarding the bubble, maybe I misunderstood what the text means. I’d been thinking that the bubble would disappear from the binder, so that when I clicked on the “Notes” document after having compiled for the first time, I would thereafter see my notes filled in, instead of the pink bubble. But maybe it’s saying the bubble won’t appear in the compiled document, not that it will disappear from the binder.

All right, yes not every output option supports this method. Print/PDF and RTFD have it available (Chicago template defaults to “Print”). If you’re intending to use a word processor to polish off the essay, using RTF for instance, then you can get this option back by flattening the endnotes to normal text. This is done in the RTF Compatibility compile option pane; check off Flatten footnotes and comments to regular text. Now go back to the footnotes configuration and you should see your option.

The reason for this is that RTF has, to my knowledge, no convention for putting endnotes anywhere other than the end. So we must turn them into normal text in order to manipulate where they appear like this.

Ah, I see the source of the confusion then. Scrivener will never modify your source content as a result of compiling. Compile is a process that takes your raw working information and turns it into a document. It can do all kinds of things to the data in doing so, such as turning grey boxes into proper endnotes (or faking it and then putting them some place else), but all of that is done to the end result.

That bubble is actually an inline annotation. You can make them too, using Format/Inline Annotation, wherever you like, as a form of taking notes for yourself on things you need to do, areas that need more research, etc. They are just another way of jotting down notes that won’t be exported. It would of course be entirely inappropriate for compile to delete your notes like that just because they aren’t printed in the compiled output. Hopefully that makes sense.

I flattened the footnotes as you suggested, and the option didn’t appear, but I did finally find it hiding somewhere else. On my version (maybe it’s old), “Place Notes After Main Text” is in Formatting/Override text and note formatting/options.

I checked it there, but the problem remains. Should I have “Override text and note formatting” checked? Maybe I’ve goofed up something in the formatting section. I’ve never been clear which “section types” are supposed to be checked where. I’ve played around to see what happens when I add and remove checks, but the only time I got the notes to come after the main text was when I accidentally got rid of the works cited.

Were you checking in the Footnotes & Comments pane? What is your output format (docx etc.)?

No that’s a completely different thing, that has to do with Document Notes, and only matters if you are including your notes with the main text. Nothing in the Formatting section is relevant here.

Yes, there’s no sign of it there.

It’s currently set for Microsoft Word 97-2004(.doc)

Try with RTF, as I mentioned above. I’m not sure why it doesn’t toggle the footnote settings to this alternate type when using the Aspose converter, but that seems to be the case.

That did the trick! The option appears when the format is RTF. Then I just needed to make sure there was a page break before the works cited, and it all came together in the right order.

Thanks for your help and your patience!

And thank you, it turns out what you were seeing with the .doc/x and .odt options not showing endnote grouping settings was a bug, they should all be working like the RTF setting. So we’ll get that fixed.