Problems with spacing between an image (rule) and Chapter # in Chapter Headings

Dear Scrivener Community:

I am updating an epub file, and am having difficulties with the image I used as a rule in the Chapter Headings.

I configure the title options pane:

[attachment=1]Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 3.32.54 PM.png[/attachment]

Then I configure the title formatting pane:

[attachment=2]Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 3.34.44 PM.png[/attachment]

But when I go to assign the Chapter Heading type to the Chapter Heading format, I get a huge space between the chapter # and the rule image, and the two aren’t centered relative to one another:

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 3.34.57 PM.png[/attachment]

I could live with the centering being slightly off, but this huge space is a problem. Any suggestions for how to get rid of this unwanted space between the Chapter # and the rule image?

Thanks in advance for your help!

– Bliss B

Could you please attach the image you’re using as the rule?

It should also be noted that with epubs, you’re actually better off setting the image’s width percentage either in addition to or in place of the fixed width (ebooks will ignore the fixed width if you set a percentage, but other compile formats will ignore the percentage in favour of the fixed width, so you can put both in the placeholder). For example:

<$img:3-balls-Brass-Rule;w=260;ebook=50%>

The above will instruct the image to be displayed at 50% of the e-reader’s screen size (or e-reader application screen size, etc.) regardless of the fixed width.

And an afterthought about your spacing issue: you’ll want to have a look at the line spacing between the heading and the image placeholder in your section layout formatting settings. For example, If you look at the attached screenshots, I got that result by setting the placeholder’s line spacing to 0.5.