Processor vs Scrivener

Hello!

I am a new Scrivener(and Mac) user.

I’ve been through the tutorial and somewhere inside it states that Scrivener is not a word processor, and once compiled you will want to move your project to a word processor to get it into publishable form.

Can anyone give me a general rundown as to what a word processor like Word 2010 can/cannot do vs Scrivener?

Although I haven’t sent any of my novels out for publishing yet (just short stories), why exactly would I need to use another word processor after Scrivener?

Many websites I have read give rundowns on how to get manuscripts ready for publishers for Word 2010. They tell you font size, font style, page/chapter breaks, word count, sentence and word spacing, and the like.

And although Scrivener’s tutorial didn’t go way into all that stuff, after browsing around the software it looks like something that can be accomplished.

If not, why? Maybe editing? Don’t know.

For fiction, it’s quite likely that Scrivener can do everything you need, at least until you start needing to collaborate with an editor.

For non-fiction, you’re likely to want Word for charts and tables, to build indexes and tables of contents/figures/etc., for references and bibliographies, for complex page layouts, that sort of thing.

And once a second person gets involved, Word’s track changes features can be pretty useful.

On the other hand, Scrivener is unsurpassed for planning, writing, and revision, and pretty good for research and reference collection.

My advice would be to use Scrivener until the project gives you a clear reason not to.

Katherine

Thanks.

That is exactly what I wanted to know.

I think I’ll be okay until I get into my Masters program :slight_smile:

I’ll just add that Word in particular can do plenty of things not common in many other word processors. For example, integration with Excel (Mail Merge), integration with PowerPoint (Send to PP), creating forms with drop down menus, etc.

My favorite processors for the Mac are Word and Mellel.
redlers.com/
Mellel has somewhat of a learning curve, but the help and tutorials have improved.
youtube.com/user/MellelRedlex
Very stable, and a bargain.

Another option is Nisus Writer Pro, which is good but expensive. The version I have is quite buggy. I still use occasionally it for very simple stuff. Version 2 fixed plenty of bugs, but I doubt that I’ll ever upgrade.