Progress fixed to 0%

I seem to be unable to get the Progress Bar to say anything other than 0%.
Please see attached screenshot.
This is build 0.0.35 for Windows, downloaded a week or so ago.
Any ideas?


The target is set for the specific document, so going by your image it looks like this is working properly: for all but the top document, the individual document count for each item is “0”, ergo there is no progress toward the goal. The first document does have a word count of “24”, but the goal for that document is 0, meaning one isn’t set, so again, there’s no progress to track.

“Total Word Count” is the sum of the word count of an item’s own word count and all of its sub-documents, so in theory (I can’t tell since this part of the image is cut off), the lower items in your list that have a 0 word count but do have a number in the “Total Word Count” column have subdocuments whose individual word counts add to that amount. There was a bug with how the Total Word Count was calculated however which I think wasn’t fixed until beta 046, and I’m guessing by the repeated number here that you don’t really have a set of subdocuments for each of those items that totals to 3886. So for that fix, try downloading the latest 049 beta from here. You can install directly over 035 so long as Scrivener is closed.

Ah, maybe clipped the screenshot too much. Each of those is a folder - so the word count for a folder object appears to always be 0. However, the folders contain the word count that you can derive there from the total word count.

In any case, I just updated the install to 0.0.49 and I’m still seeing the same behavior. I did test setting a count on a specific scene document and the progress bar jumped to the correct value.

I’m hoping I’m misunderstanding here - Progress as reflected on a folder should be the sum of all word counts of all contained documents and folders, compared to the Target, correct? Otherwise it would be pretty much useless for the NaNoWriMo use case (and probably most other use cases as well) - it doesn’t make any sense to have a target for each and every scene document when all I really care about is that Act 1 runs to 12500 and the whole things runs to 50000 words. To say that you have to set the target scene by scene defeats the point. That would imply that ahead of time I’m going to guess how many scenes I’m going to have in the novel and just how big every scene will be.

So I’m guessing I’m not understanding this, right?

The current Progress column in the outliner is specific to each individual document, as is the target that you can set–this matches what you’ll see in the editor footer for each document when it’s loaded. We will be adding a Total Target and Total Progress, to go along with the Total Word Count, which will work the way you’re expecting, letting you apply an overall goal for a container’s documents’ summed word count and measure that.

Some people will in fact use the target goal as a way of setting each daily goal, using a new document every day, or do plan out in advance with a general word count goal per scene; and as this can also be combined with Project Targets, which track your session’s word count and the overall Draft word count, I wouldn’t say they’re entirely unhelpful for NaNoWrimo, but naturally it’s going to depend on your style of working and what you care about. (I admit for NaNo I rarely set a scene goal, either.) I would check out Project > Project Targets, though, as this is probably closer to what you’re looking for. The “Draft” count here (I think it will be “Manuscript” if you’re using the NaNoWriMo template) calculates your draft total based on the current compile settings, and you can set your 50K word goal (or whatever your personal goal is) for that. “Session” counts from when you open the project to when you close it and will track your word count across multiple documents.

Final note, just regarding folder word count–folders in Scrivener can also be documents (if you right-click on one in the binder, for instance, you’ll see the “Convert to file” option), meaning that they can contain their own text; they don’t just have to hold other files, the way folders work in Windows Explorer. When you’ve selected a folder, try clicking the “Scrivenings” icon in the left of the set of three icons in the center of the main toolbar to switch to viewing all the subdocuments in Scrivenings mode, then click it again to disable that (so that none of the three buttons are highlighted): now you’re just viewing the folder text itself in the regular editor. If you type here, you’ll see that the folder’s icon in the binder will switch to have a little piece of paper superimposed on it, and when you go back to the outliner you’ll see the word count listed there.

Thank you. I think the Project Target is what I want, though it is unfortunate that it is segregated off to a separate menu item rather than integrated with the other targets.

I’ll try the trick with bouncing the Scrivening mode to get the wordcount too.