Project File Hidden

I use Scrivener on both Mac and Windows. I’ve created a project on the Mac, but when I go to open it on Windows, I can’t open it. Clicking on the project file gives me a message that the file cannot be found. Other times, it will just go to the new project wizard. The problem is that the project file is hidden…if I go to the file properties and uncheck hidden, then go and click the file and it opens fine.

Anyone else notice this? There a fix?

By hidden, you mean Windows has elected to hide some or all of the files in the project folder? That’s the first I’ve ever heard of such a thing. What are you using to transfer the project between machines? What happens if you enable the option in Windows Explorer to show hidden files? Does it work if they are still hidden without changing the properties?

I have my project files on a flash drive and just plug it in and access from there.

I have windows set to show all files, so I always see the project file, but the icon is dimmed to show it’s hidden. I have to go to the properties and uncheck hidden before I can successfully open it in Scrivener.

It seems to go back to hidden after I open the file on my Mac, do some stuff in the project and save it. When I take it back to the windows machine, it’s hidden.

The whole time, the project is on a flash drive.

Using Snow Leopard on Mac and Windows 7, if that helps.

That is a strange one, especially since the hidden flag is typically something neither OS communicates to the other as they use their own flags for this. An exception could be if you are using a third-party HFS+ driver on Windows, to read Mac volumes. Is the flash drive formatted to Mac or PC? If you’re unsure you can use Disk Utility on the Mac to examine the flash drive. The area in the lower 1/4 of the window provides detailed information on the volume, including the “Format”. If you could let me know which format you have the flash drive set to (and if you are using drivers on the PC, which one), I could do some tests with my 10.6 machine.

Don’t have the Mac right now, but I believe I did format the flash drive on the Mac and used the DOS or PC or whatever setting in Disk Utility.

But in Windows, it’s showing as NTFS and I know I have a utility installed on my Mac to reads NTFS drives. Just don’t remember the name if the utility offhand though.

Okay if it’s a paid NTFS driver for the Mac you might be able to get support from them on why this is happening. I cannot think of anything special that Scrivener is doing here itself. It just uses standard OS X file read/write commands—the same as any other Cocoa program would. It doesn’t even set anything special for the project folder or its internal files; that package display that makes it look like a file is purely a function of the file system being informed by Scrivener that folders ending in “.scriv” should be packages. So technically speaking, Scrivener literally just writes folders and files to the system.

If possible, a simple solution would probably be to reformat the flash drive to FAT32 (from either machine). Support for this filesystem is much, much better in a cross-platform context. That would probably be easier in the long run than trying to figure out what is going on here with the hidden file flag. Personally I’d prefer that for flash anyway as it is much simpler filesystem that doesn’t require as much read/write activity to use (thus increasing the lifespan of the chemistry in the drive).