Project links become document links

I’m missing something. I’m trying to use links to limit the number of documents in the project. I have a folder outside of the Scrivener project for my character notes. Each character has a detailed ODF file. To avoid overloading the Research folder, and to make editing these easier, I decided to create project links to these files. This is what I do:

Select project.
Under + select look up and link.
Find my document and click OK.
The document appears as a project link.

When I subsequently move from the highlighted item in the Binder, the link disappears from the link list. If I go back to the highlighted item in the Binder it is still missing when project link is selected. If I select document link, it appears, but it is only visible when the same item is highlighted in the Binder.

What am I missing?

TIA

Interesting, I can reproduce this as well, it looks like you might have found a bug. This used to work just fine, so it might have cropped up in one of the more recent builds. Here is what I am doing:

  1. Select a document in the Binder
  2. Switch pane to references
  3. Click drop-down to view Project References
  4. Use add menu to Look Up & Add External…
  5. Select any file on the system
  6. File appears in the Project References list.
  7. Click on the research folder; Project References list goes empty.
  8. Click back on the same document I selected in step 1
  9. Change to Document References, and there is the file.

That definitely shouldn’t be happening, so I’m moving it to bug reports.

Well, I’m glad about that! Thought I was more stupid than I thought. :confused:

Did it work in 1.5.3, which I think is still lying around on my system? Be nice to have it whilst I wait for 1.5.5.

//James

I couldn’t say for sure. Honestly I’ve been using test builds for over two years now, and only keep the public stable version of Scrivener around for tech support. So I don’t even remember when I last tested project references in the stable line. The reason why I speculate it must have cropped up recently is that you’d think something like that would have surfaced before now; but perhaps project references are not an oft used feature.

But as an aside to this: are your ODF documents fairly intricate in terms of formatting? Because the storage of text files is one thing you shouldn’t have to worry too much about in Scrivener, in terms of project size bloat. Most project bloat issues only crop up when there are gigabytes of multimedia or PDF in the project binder. It would seem to me that character references would definitely be something handy to have around in a split view and hooked up to the meta-data system.

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. I had seen this before but had never been able to reproduce it, so it’s good to have a reproducible case. Ioa - could you confirm this is fixed in the 2.x line?

Thanks,
Keith

Yes, I already confirmed it’s no longer an issue in the alpha trunk with either drag and drop or using the add menu.

Great, thanks. I’ve made of this for 1.55, but I doubt 1.55 will be out before 2.0.

Best,
Keith

Hi Amber and thanks:

No, the ODF documents contain a two-column table, with characteristics on the left and their value on the right. I could even do away with the table format and just tab over to the right, it’s not that important to have a table, just easier when a value spans more than one line.

It was not so much the size of the documents as the clutter in the binder, although with judicious use of folders, that could be avoided.

Problem is I’m testing Scrivener, which I think is the bees knees (English slang for the best thing since sliced bread), but I’m not quite ready to give up my present working system, which has been to use Open Office with a Master Document, sub-documents for individual chapters, and folders for, say, characters, locations, current copy, working papers, etc. So I’m creating my documents in OOo and importing them into Scrivener so I’ve got a fall-back in case the move to Scrivener proves to be just too much hassle.

//James

Tables shouldn’t be a problem, actually. Scrivener supports them and in my testing they import from ODT just fine. And yes, folders are your friends in Scrivener. Keywords can also be useful for things like characters, which is what I hinted at with integrating with the meta-data system. Character sheets and scenes can all be assigned a character keyword and called up in a search result with a single click no matter where they are in the Binder. Things like character sheets will be handled better in the next version, which will let you create document templates. So you can set up a defined character sheet style with your table and any other formatting and then use that to create new documents on the fly.

One of the main reasons I created Scrivener was to handle clutter. :slight_smile: I would definitely think about importing these documents, although the ODT import and export is far from perfect, relying as it does on Apple’s standard translators, so I understand your trepidation.

If these are character sheets you might want to create a new root-level folder for “Characters” (2.0, out September-ish, will allow you to customise folders with different icons to make it easier what things are at a glance).

All the best,
Keith