Project properties

I need to change the project properties under meta-data settings, but they’re all greyed out and I can’t write. How do I do this?

Well, there are some greyed out “prototype text” in these fields initially, they show you what the program will be using for these placeholder tags, if you do not type in anything. They shouldn’t be disabled though. They just act like a search field that has “prototype text” in it, where once you click into it and start typing it goes away.

Duh! Sorry, Amber, you are so right. It works now.
Thank you!

tunna

Tunna, if it makes you feel any better I just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out why they were greyed out too. Fortunately you’d asked the question and I found your post!!

Duh x2 !!! :wink:

Thanks for posting!!

Gilly

I may have to add a note about this to the box itself, seeing as a couple of others have had this issue, too. The grey “placeholder” text is a standard OS X thing, but it’s not used often outside of search boxes, which is why I think there is a little confusion…

Hi Keith,

I think it’s an expectation thing … that when something is greyed out, it isn’t editable. And also that when you click in a field to edit it, it will go blank ready for your input.

You are so on the ball with this forum! :smiley:

Gilly

While you are being so on the ball though … I’m actually having a problem with it.

I’ve set my Project Properties with an abbreviated title. I’m now trying to call that field in the header with <$abbr_title> but when I compile, I get this …

<$abbr[u]title>                           [/u]

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Beer in hand yet? It is Friday!

Thanks
Gilly

That’s because the code is actually <$abbr_projecttitle> (in complement to <$projecttitle>). This is an error in the window description. Keith, it’s also printed wrong in the <$sectiontitle> table row of the placeholder tag list.

Amber, you’re a gem - thanks - that did it. Now compiling exactly as I want. :wink:

Great! Forgot to say the reason why it was half-underlined is that those header/footer rows accept simple formatting codes so you can have italics and such if needed. ‘’ starts underlining the text and since the tag wasn’t recognised the middle '’ was interpreted as a formatting code.

Whew, Friday it is.

Thanks, Ioa, I missed that one and will fix it for the next update!

Out of interest, is there any way to use a file name as a reference? I’ve got a folder for each chapter and am using the folder name to set my reference for the header, but I’d really like the folder to be the chapter number and the file to be the chapter name. To do that, I’d have to reference the file in order for the header to have the chapter name rather than it saying “chapter one”.

Thanks so much!!

Gilly

Okay - figured that out. Using <$t> at the document level in the formatting options enables me to use the file title. I’m slowly starting to get to grips with this, after lots of fiddling around and compiling.

There is one thing I don’t understand though:

If I select a single folder to compile from the list within the Compile Contents, it will compile my chapter numbers as they should be.

If I try to compile multiple chapters by selecting either the files themselves or the folders (it has the same result either way) from the binder and then selecting Current Selection for the Compile Contents, the chapter numbers revert to number one regardless of the chapter number selected.

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that when you select an individual folder you get the Compile Group Options and can ensure that Treat Compile Group As Entire Draft is switched off. But it’s a bit annoying to have to compile multiple chapters one at a time.

As I say, I’m just getting to grips with all this so I’m probably doing it all wrong!!

Thanks!!!
Gilly

When you are just compiling a single chapter, Scrivener can compile everything in the background up to that point and then delete it, leaving only that chapter, thus giving it the correct numbering. It would be much more complex to do that for Current Selection, when Current Selection can be used on anything, inside or outside the draft.

Hi Keith,

Okay, NP, I can compile a chapter at a time. It was more of a sanity check than anything - making sure Scrivner was doing what it was supposed to, rather than me not doing something I was supposed to! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help thus far!

Gilly

I am having the same problem with my compile. It sounds like this is an update in the program problem? But my version (Mt. Lion/bought from App store) shows it is up to date. What can I do to get the correct code?

thanks for any assistance!
Pauline

You don’t need an update, just type it in differently. Placeholder tokens are just plain old text, but they need to be typed in correctly in order to work.

This isn’t something that I’m typing. It is a metadata setting. I’ve tried to change it, but I don’t know where to do that. The compile is inserting into the file without my input. Is there a place where you can edit the source code? Thanks!

That depends on where it is appearing. If it’s along the top or bottom of the page, in the header or footer area, then check the Page Setup compile option pane. It is probably in one of those fields.

It seems to be appearing at the top, just under the main title. But I feel like I’m looking at a program wholly different from everyone else’s. I can not see a page set up pane in the compile option. :frowning:

thank you for trying to help me.

Question: if that command is wrong, why is it in the meta data settings like that? I have been able to find those and I can see that it is the wrong command. :frowning: I just can’t seem to get rid of it.