project.scrivx is missing

I have just reinstalled and reactivated Scrivener on a new PC, after my old machine bit the dust last month. Fortunately, all of my files were backed up to an external hard drive, and I was able to restore them to the new machine.

There is one catch, though: the project.scrivx file that I need to open my projects is missing. All the folders are there, but the project.scrivx is gone without a trace.

The hard drive on my old machine is toast. There is no way for me to get back on it and retrieve anything; the backup to the external hard drive is all I have. Is there anything to be done? Can I salvage the text from the folders I have, and if so, how do I go about this?

To open the folders and find your text:

1. Open File Explorer and browse to the location of the project. Open the .scriv folder, and browse into the Files\Docs folder. You will have to look in all the folders in the Data folder to find the RTFs)
  2. You should now see lots of RTFs, named by a number (e.g. ‘12.rtf’) or ‘content.rtf’ if you’re looking in the Data folder. These are the files that fed into the .scrivx.
  3. Create a new project in Scrivener (File > New Project…) then drag the rtf files directly into the Binder of this new project.

Thank you! It is working.