Project Search: AutoHiding Documents On/Off

When I do a project-wide search, the way Scrivener hides documents in the Binder that don’t contain the selected text is really cool. I love that feature. Sometimes, however, I’d prefer to see where the search criteria falls within the context of the entire project. In those cases, hiding the documents works against me. If I’m looking to see if I overuse the word “flung,” I can search to see how many times it’s used within my project, but I can’t tell how close together they fall (because I can only see the documents that contain that word).

It would be great to have a “Solo” button on the Project Search bar where it toggles whether it shows everything or just the relevant documents. If it shows everything, you would obviously need to highlight the relevant documents in some way to give the user an idea of which documents contain the search criteria.

Probably not going to happen. I realize that and accept the reality. Just wanted to log it in case others were interested. Many thanks for your consideration, regardless.

1 Like

You could somewhat achieve that in a two steps operation, if you’d assign that word as a keyword to the search results documents, then look at your manuscript in outline view.
Not perfect… [EDIT Clunky actually, now that I’ve tried it, lol] But somewhat close to what you want.

I otherwise like your idea. Docs not containing the searched word(s) could be faded in the full-binder\search results. (Better than highlight imo.)
Something like this :

The option could fit that dropdown menu :

Your idea of a “Solo” button comes from using a mixing board, right? :metal:

If I correctly understand what you’re asking, this is easy to do.

Run your search:

Single-click any item in the search results,.

Press Ctrl-A to select all of the results.

Right-click and select Reveal in Binder

All the documents that contain your search term will be highlighted within the binder structure. Is this what you’re looking for?

Best,
Jim

6 Likes

So simple I wonder how come I didn’t think of it myself.

Good job, @JimRac :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d love to take credit for figuring that out, but I’m pretty sure I learned it from one of @Amberv’s posts!

1 Like

The other trick is at bottom of search options is invert the search and show results where search term is not.
That highlighting items in binder trick is amazing. I always learn something new here.

1 Like

This is a great workaround, @JimRac—many thanks. @Vincent_Vincent, I wish you would have left your answer up because it was also valid, particularly the muting/greyed out screenshot. JimRac’s technique is super-handy but unfortunately has to be “re-run” every time I select a document to make an edit—unfortunately, a frequent occurrence given my predilection for the word/phrase “flung,” “to the ground,” and “a frequent source.”

At some point, someone will create software that can detect the overuse of such words and phrases but for now, I suppose we will have to soldier on manually, as JimRac has described.

Many thanks again for all of your contributions.

1 Like

Alright then.
It’s back.

@hairgamiMaster, I’m not 100% sure I understand what you’re looking to do, so what follows below may not help you. But if you’re, say, trying to find all the docs where you’ve used “flung”, locate where they fall in the binder, and then work through the docs changing “flung” to “toss” or “chuck” or “hurl”, it’s not necessary to rerun the search while you’re going through the process of making these edits.

Have two editors open and run the search.

Click in the left editor so that it’s the active one. Then click the image button in the search results header.

Your search results will be loaded into the left editor’s Outliner.

Do Navigate > Outliner Selection Affects > Other Editor to have the Outliner drive the right editor’s contents.

Now when you select a doc in the left Outliner, you can edit it in the right editor. No need to rerun the search.

If you’d like to see where your search results fall in the binder structure, you can use the technique from my prior post. Select all in the Outliner and right-click “reveal in binder”.

Use the binder to see where the search results docs are in context, use the left editor to select individual docs to edit, and use the right binder to make your changes.

There are a few other layouts that might also be useful to what (I think) you’re trying to do. For example, instead of using the Outliner to drive the other editor, use the Outliner to drive a copyholder.

With this layout, the binder drives the left editor and the outliner (containing the search results) drives the right copyholder. You’d make your edits in the right side, and use the binder/left editor to navigate to other documents, for comparison and editing as needed.

Just some ideas. Does any of this get you closer to where you want to be?

You may want to have a look at the manual (Help > Scrivener Manual), Section 11.1 Project Search. Perhaps you’ll get some ideas for other ways to better integrate Scrivener into your process.

Best,
Jim

2 Likes

Haha, this is awesome, Jim. I hadn’t touched the Outliner before, and never use split/dual editor windows, so I wouldn’t have ever thought of trying this. My oft-requested feature is nearly there. Now if you could tell me how to get Scrivener to find these troublesome words/phrases for me, we’d be there.

Thank you so much for doing all that—really above and beyond the call of duty. I really appreciate it!

1 Like