I am writing a novel that has 64 sections. I just finished the fourth section. When I tally up the individual word count for the sections, I have 3633 words. The entire manuscript should reflect that count, it says 1847. To get the pictured Project Statistics above, I highlighted the four sections I wrote. When I just click on the Manuscript in the Binder, it says the manuscript has 1847 words, and the selection has 4350. I gather the difference between 4350 and 3633 is the titles for the different sections.
The following are the options set to produce the report above. Other settings should be the same as for a novel I recently published.
That said, when I run project statistics for that novel, it shows 106kwords for the manuscript, which is consistent, and 0 words for the selection. The options are identical, and the new novel is based on a template I created and used on the first novel.
I have the option to “Update Printed Counts” in the older novel, but not for the current one.
I recently upgraded my Mac Mini from the pre-2010 version to the one released this past summer that uses Lion.