Project Statistics freezes Scrivener

I am encountering a problem with Project Statistics that is reproducible almost every time, and seems only to affect larger projects. By larger I mean projects with a compiled output that totals more than 100,00 words (of which I have two). I have another project with ~50,000 that works fine, lots of smaller projects that are also fine, but nothing in between 50,000 and 100,000 to use for further testing.

What happens is that when I invoke Project > Statistics, Scrivener will hang indefinitely. The spinning wheel that appears in the bottom left hand corner of the Project Statistics window will spin, as will the rainbow beachball. Nothing will then happen, and the system will tell me that the application is not responding. This happens almost every time with my current project.

On the rare occasion that the Project Statistics window does return a word count, the Compiled tab will return an incorrect count. It gives me a word count that excludes footnotes, even though I have that option ticked. When I click on the Options tab to confirm this, and then return to the Compile tab, the project will then hang.

The Selected Documents tab, however, returns the correct count (words & footnotes) if I have the Draft folder selected. I have gone through the compile settings for each document, and each appears correct. I wonder if this is a known issue, or something to do with possible preference selections?

I am using macOS 10.13.6, Scrivener 3.1.2. I’m using a Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM, and this doesn’t appear to be a memory issue (but of course I might be wrong on that). The project that I am currently working on is 40.8MB in size. Draft folder contains nothing but Scrivener documents The other project that this reliably happens in is 32.2MB in size.

It is probably also important to point out that the Project Statistics window worked perfectly well until I updated Scrivener to 3.1.2. I was using Project Statistics and Project Targets quite heavily to track progress, so noticed immediately when it started to give me a count that excluded footnotes. It is only recently, however, that it has started consistently to freeze Scrivener.

Any help appreciated.

This is a non-critical issue for me so I’m in no rush, and maybe it’s an issue isolated just to my project, but I sent a mail to support on 24 April with largely the same text as below and haven’t heard back yet. I know that support has a lot of queries at the moment, but am just wondering what the normal wait time for a response is?

This just happened to me. I have 6 scrivener files - 5 of them work fine. One of them has this issue. I can compile, do everything I can think of, but if i try to run statistics - the app hangs.

The original post refers to Scrivener 3.1.2, but the current version is 3.1.5. Please make sure you’re up to date.

Is Scrivener truly hung, or just taking a long time? The Project Statistics calculation does take a bit of time for large projects.

Katherine