Project Statistics incomplete

My project statistics have never been correct. The screen shot shows that the selection is correct, but the manuscript folder is not–it only includes the first few chapters. The manuscript target is correct. When I try to open it in Word, it gives me the smaller number, not the complete manuscript. Everything in the manuscript folder is marked to include in compile and I’m asking it to export everything that is marked for compile. Could anyone help me figure out what I’m doing wrong? Thank you.

It looks to me that your chapter 1 and 2 folders have something under them. If you click on the triangles, and expand, do you have more folders, or just text document (page) icons? That’s the typical way of doing things in Scrivener (though not the only way). Chapters 3 & 4, and 6 through 16 appear to be folders with text “on” them.

Let me pause explain that last line. Think of the physical analogy of manilla file folders and regular paper pages. Typically, you write a title on the tab of a file folder, but you would write on regular paper, and put that paper IN the folder. What you’ve done with chapters 3,4,6-16 is to write directly on the manilla file folders, not using any regular paper, but writing on the folder itself.

Your compile settings typically only include the title of a folder, but will include all of the text in documents in those folders as “scenes”, separated by a single blank line or a couple of centered hash marks. The statistics use your compile settings to decide how to count your words, because when you compile, that’s what it will produce.

Solution 1: Convert all of the folders with text “on” them (chapters 3,4,6-16) to text documents using that option under the gear icon at the bottom of your binder. Then drag the text documents out of the folders 1,2, and 5, naming them “chapter 1” and so-forth as appropriate, then trashing the folders they were in.

Solution 2: Create empty scene documents, one for each of the chapters 3,4,6-16, and put them “in” each of them (you’ll be able to tell they’re in the folder because the folders will gain that little triangle that exposes & hides their contents). Enter Scrivenings mode for each folder, then cut and paste the text from the folder to the new document file.

You’ll have to do something like solution 1 or 2 before you can get a consistent compile to happen anyway, so you might as well pause to do this now. BACK UP YOUR PROJECT FIRST! If you make a mess, then you can always duplicate the backup and start fresh.

Good luck!

Thank you! When I started I outlined scenes on the index cards and then wrote each scene separately and sometimes out of order. As I got more comfortable with fiction (I’m a published non-fiction writer but new to fiction) I stopped writing scene by scene and wrote chapter by chapter. That left them set up differently and I took out all the blank scene cards I’d never used. I’ll fix that now. I appreciate your detailed explanation. This is what I get for being so excited by the program that I didn’t finish learning to use it correctly. Being able to so easily write out of order gave me the confidence to start the novel, since I could skip anything I didn’t know how to do yet.

Edit to add what I had intended to lead with: In that case, I recommend solution 1. No need for folders if each text document is a chapter unto itself.

Mistakes can lead to new discoveries. Now that you know you can put text “on” a folder, you can use that and some compiler voodoo to format that text differently from the main chapter text. Why would you? Well, you might want to start each chapter with a short quote, a poem, or some other short passage relevant to the chapter; the compile settings would let you center that text, or italicize it, or block quote, or use a different font from the rest of your book, and so one… It’s kind of a neat trick, and it doesn’t require you to know ahead of time what font choices to make, which is really helpful for ebooks, which essentially only have a handful of fonts to choose from.

Going through the interactive tutorial a bit at a time (found under Help) will help you avoid any other mistakes and learn what tools are in the Scrivener toolbox. Good luck on your fictional endeavors!

It worked! Thank you so much!

Sweet… Thank you Robert :slight_smile:
The sharing of experiences on the forum has been a major source of learning to me :slight_smile: