Project Templates (new assistant)

Non-fiction! I thought of it today and realised I had missed out a huge swathe. I don’t want to include “Business” by default. I don’t want to see that word whilst I am working within Scrivener. :slight_smile: Users should be able to define categories, though, so it can be added by users if needed…

jkr - thanks for the link to those projects. I’ll take a look when I get chance and possibly add them to the default templates if that’s okay.

I’m also planning to incorporate built-in templates into the the Scrivener package rather than have them installed in Application Support (user-created templates would still get saved in Application Support, though). This should make things easier to maintain.

There will also be a blank page .tif file available so that users can edit it to create their own image for their custom template…

Best,
Keith

What’s the timescale for this? I have a non-fiction template (of course) and a journalism one but to be honest I usually just use the default and customise as I go… I can let you have mine if it helps.

But one plea: not “My Templates”, please. It’s so patronising/Windows. I hate the way Mail has adopted it. “On My Computer”. What if it isn’t my computer? Feh… MY documents MY briefcase MY computer mine mine… “Custom Templates” is rather more grown-up, don’t you think?

Mon Cul…oui?..non? Hee!..hee!..hee!

Le D :smiling_imp: [size=50]mon cul…haaaa!..haa![/size]

It is, to be sure, but it’s also what Word uses. This doesn’t of course make it right, but I was thinking for the benefit of the (regular influx of) people who are switching from Word.

Hi Michael,

I’d definitely appreciate the templates if you don’t mind making them available. There’s no particular timescale… I’m working on this as a break from the bigger Compile Draft improvements, which still involve a lot of work. There’s a lot to do on 1.2 in general.

Here’s a screenshot of how it’s looking so far:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/misc/ProjectTemplates.jpg

Best,
Keith

P.S. Just in case anyone fancies trying their hand at making some icons for the different text types or categories, here are the image templates:

literatureandlatte.com/misc/ … Images.zip

The smaller one is for the categories, and the larger one is for the actual templates.

Best,
Keith

I agree with Michael here … While I’m not fond of “Custom Templates” either, it is not so ooh-look-what-I-can-do-ish and also would be a repository where one could put templates kindly provided by other users without immediately pretending they’re your own!

It would be good, too, if the custom templates category were at the top, particularly if you’re going to use a graphical category list. In general, my own “self-constructed” templates are the ones I use by far the most of the time; I am always irritated almost beyond forbearance by template selectors that offer 101 “professionally-designed templates” that I wouldn’t dream of using or ever finding a use for, but which I have to scroll past before I can get to the one I have created, the one that I want.

Mark

PS I like the icons you have created Keith …

It doesn’t matter where the custom templates go (they would most likely go at the bottom, though) - as you can see, there is a “Set as Default” button. So all you would need to do is set one of the custom templates as the default so that the custom selection is open with that one selected whenever you open the Templates panel.

Best,
Keith

Actually, I might simplify the categories as follows (otherwise we’ll end up with about one template in each category!):

Blank
Fiction
Non-Fiction
Scriptwriting
Poetry & Lyrics
Miscellaneous

That should be broad enough to cover just about any templates that will be created.

Best,
Keith

The list proposed in the last mail, and the “Set as default” button which I had missed will probably answer my issues …

Thanks

Mark

Will there be a way to retroactively apply new templates to an existing project?

Ahab - no, that won’t be possible. It would be pretty much impossible given that templates can start out with any structure etc that you want.
Best,
Keith

Ditto that. (As in how the Project window works in Word.) So, glad to hear that we will be able to have the project asst in Scriv point to a category of choice each time it opens.

–Greg

In reference to Ahab’s question, would it be possible to perform the same action with the standard, or native templates?

Hi,

No - there’s no such thing as a “standard” or “native” template. When creating a new project, Scrivener does one of two things: If using the “Blank” template, it just creates an empty .scriv package with the bare minimum necessary files inside it, adds the Draft, Research and Trash folders and a single text document to the binder, and opens the resulting file. If using any other template, Scrivener extracts the project data and makes a project from it. The templates that come with Scrivener were just created by me in exactly the same way as users make templates. I created a project, added some things to it, then used “Save As Template”.

So there is no way of applying a template to an existing project, because a template is in effect just a compressed project in itself. Whereas word processor templates save styles and formatting, Scrivener templates save documents, project structure and so on, so they are not really comparable.

All the best,
Keith

Gotchya Keith and thank you. As I’m just beginning my Scrivener experience, I simply deleted all projects as per the instructions in another forum (moving all .scriv files to trash) and restarted the projects with the templates. It’d be nice, in the future, to be able to import into a template.

Oh - you can import into a template. You can move documents between any project. Just select the documents in the binder of the old project window and then drag them into the binder of the new project created from a template. Does that help?
All the best,
Keith

Sure does! Thanks again! Off to another thread…I have to know more about splitting…

In My Scrivener when I go to File- New Project ; When the window with all the Options such as; Getting Started; Blank ; Fiction; and so on comes up it does not include the Poetry and Lyrics option which I would love to have. Please Help.

Currently, it’s not in the Windows version. See here for the differences (pretty sure it’s up to date):