Projects are empty on Win 8.1

Hi!

I just received a tablet/laptop hybrid with windows 8.1 on it. I managed to install Scrivener successfully but when I opened a project, everything was empty. The different sections and little files from my project are visible, including titles, but there is no writing inside them or whatsoever.

I upload and sync my projects automatically via Google Drive because I like to work on my projects both on my desktop (windows 7) and my tablet hybrid (windows 8.1).

Can anyone help me solve this problem? I would really like to be able to work on my projects on the go as well! (it’s one of the reason why I got myself a tablet).

Most likely issue is probably Google Drive. Do a search of the forums (search field in upper right hand corner) on “Google Drive” to see what other folks’ experience with it has been. DropBox appears to be the best/safest choice for now. You should read the related knowledgebase article, which discusses this in general and mentions problems with Google Drive scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … c-services

Less likely… If you see text in the editor when you click on an individual item, but not when you click on a container (typically a folder), try clicking the “scrivening” button (just to left of corkboard and outline buttons near top) an additional time. “Scrivening” mode actually doesn’t just switch you from corkboard or outline mode to scrivening mode… it also toggles between seeing just the text of the currently selected item and seeing the concatenated/combined text of the currently selected items and any subordinate items it contains.

Least likely… Windows 8.1 (real Wintel Intel compatible version, not RT)… That you have installed and are able to run Scrivener confirms you are running real Windows 8.1 (not RT). And Scrivener runs fine with real Windows 8.1, albeit in traditional desktop graphics mode rather than the new Metro/Modern mode.

Hope that helps.

P.S. The workaround with Google Drive would be to File > Back Up > Back Up To the project as a single compressed (.zip) file that goes onto Google Drive, then pull that off on the other computer, unzip/decompress it, so can work on it there. Then repeat the process to send the updated project back the other way. Not elegant, but it should work.

Okay! Going to try those things now :slight_smile:

I’d be inclined to agree with this problem assessment. I’ve recently purchased an ASUS Tablet running Windows 8.1 and have been using Scrivener for a few weeks with no problems. I sync between this tablet and 2 other computers using SpiderOak. Syncing and its various implications have been discussed countless times in this forum so I won’t beat a dead horse, but I will suggest that anyone syncing between computers read (and maybe read a second time) the relevant discussions on using Scrivener with any syncing software. Google Docs/Drive, etc is known to have introduced some problems to this process, so, as already noted, I’d suggest avoiding it in favor of DropBox, SpiderOak, or some other solution. However, if your problems persist, I’d be interested in hearing the details since I am now committed to a Windows 8.1 tablet.

Keep Writing,

Dick

Dropbox does the trick for me :smiley: I managed to work in my project on my tablet and now opened it up my computer and it’s all there!
I now keep the back-ups on Google Drive.

It’s a shame that Google Drive doesn’t work for this (it did work between two windows 7 computers for me in the past) because for me it’s a lot more secure and dropbox is just an e-mail and a password while Google Drive needs a code that has been texted to me.

Glad to hear that DropBox did the trick for you. I’m not lobbying for any software vendor, but if you don’t like the security features of DropBox you might want to take a look at SpiderOak. You might appreciate the way they do encryption and their overall security philosophy. You can get a 2GB account for free and try it out. So far, it has been solid as a rock for me. I used SugarSync prior to purchasing my tablet, but had to abandon it because SugarSync won’t sync to external or ‘docked’ drives (including micro SD cards), and the new ASUS tablet has both.

Good luck.

Dick