projects lose formatting when imported into new project

I am trying to import three Scrivener projects into a new Scrivener project. These three projects export just fine to .mobi. However, when I Import Scrivener Project for these three into a new target project, there is a formatting problem. I compile the project and export it to .mobi and in the Amazon Kindle previewer, there is a line space between paragraphs.

Now, in Scrivener Editor, in both the source projects and the target project, there does appear to be a line space between paragraphs. Here is where it gets strange. Each of the three projects when compiled and exported on .mobi on their own, look great, no line spacing between paragraphs. However, once imported into the new target project, compiled and exported to .mobi, they show the line space between each paragraph.

One possibility of the root of the problem: the source file was a .doc that was converted to “clean” html using the Word conversion function. The html file was then later imported into Scrivener. It appears that there is a latent line space style that only manifests once the Scrivener project is imported into a new Scrivener project.

Another clue: as an experiment, I copied and pasted a portion of the text out of the new Scrivener project into Mac’s Text Edit application. I chose Default Style which stripped out the offending line spacing and pasted that back into the Scrivener project. Presto. Problem fixed.

My question is how can achieve the same result without having to go through that process with each of hundreds of sections within the project?

A larger question is why does the line spacing between paragraphs appear in the Editor yet the line spacing setting in the tool bar indicates spacing at 1.0? The fact that the cursor jumps from one line to another directly shows that the 1.0 spacing is indeed in effect, yet, once again, what is shown visually in the editor is not always what the setting shows. The visual in the Editor may actually be showing the latent style that is only cropping up when the project is imported into a new project.

Edited after realising I misread you originally.

Does this change only manifest when you compile? Because then it is probably just your compile settings. One project can be set to compile your book to 56pt Gill Sans poster print, and another project to 12pt Courier manuscript. The same files transferred from project A to be B would thus have a radically different end product.

So that’s all that is going on, I would guess. You just need to copy your compile settings from A to B. See §23.4.1 (pg. 296) in the User Manual PDF for tips on that.

One hint: You are using [b]File/Import/Scrivener Project...[/b] to merge these together, right? That’s by far the best way to do it. Drag and drop is a close second, but only if you don’t want to merge everything.

Are you talking about line-height or paragraph padding? You seem to be combining the two into a single topic. There are actually several different line-height models you can use with multiple settings, and two different paragraph padding options, all of which combined together create your spacing settings. The drop-down menu itself however is just a shortcut for the simplest form of line-height adjustment, the multiplication method whereby the total allocated font height is multiplied by the line-height factor to space the lines out in equal proportion on the top and bottom. So a font height of 12pt with a 1.2 line-height factor is 18pts tall; 3pts of padding on the top and bottom of a 12pt block for the font in the middle (which may itself have its own padding initialised).

…which might also be what you are referring to. Some fonts have more leading than others. Some have ascenders and descenders all jammed up together at 1.0; others are spacious and can be set to 0.8 or 0.7 without calamity.

Great, I copied the compile settings as you advised and that worked. It took a few minutes to figure out how to create a new preset to apply to the “B” project, but once I got that, it worked fine. Thanks so much. Also thanks for your insights into line height and paragraph padding.