Prologue and text file separators

Hi there! I’ve searched your archives for solutions to the pesky prologue problem and have not found a satisfactory solution.

Problem: Prologues get titled with the prefix you set up for chapters.

Solution one: Place the prologue file into the front matter folder.
Why this fails: If you use a scene break separator like “<<<” or “***” and add that in by choosing to place that as a custom separator between adjacent files, you will get that separator placed above the “prologue” title, and there seems to be no way to suppress it.

Solutions two: Add a section prefix to prologue and another section prefix for chapter one.
Why this fails: The system is set up to recognize the prologue as part of Level 1, so no matter what I do with the fiction template, it will title the prologue as chapter one. I’ve tried placing it as a file under Manuscript but before the ch 1 folder, placing it as its own folder before the ch 1 folder, adding the unique formatting for that page as a prefix and as formatting in the file. It seems I’ve exhausted possible workarounds here, so I’m feeling pretty frustrated with this!

Hi

This works (for me)…

[attachment=0]compile.png[/attachment]

Best

Briar Kit

Thanks Briar! While this wasn’t a pressing issue for me since I’m a long way from finishing it’s good to know there is a work around.

Of course now I just have to remember how to do it when the time comes around that I actually need to do it. Of course I have to finish the project I’m working on first. Then I need to delve into that strange world/art of ‘compiling’.

My ‘to do’ list just doesn’t seem to be getting any shorter.

Thank you - that does allow me to set the prologue as a folder and prevent it from being labeled a chapter. However, now the formatting either reverts to the original text file’s formatting, or the “Prologue” tag appears left-justified instead of centered, as it is in the original text file. I’m wondering if it would actually be easier to set up a new doc from scratch rather than trying to tailor the built-in fiction template the way I am. I can’t even tell what font it’s compiling in - this doesn’t seem to be listed anywhere.